ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Soccer had a strong defensive effort Saturday night, but it was not enough to come away with the win against 15th-ranked Roanoke.
Score: Roanoke 1, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Roanoke (9-0-1, 1-0-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (4-5-0, 0-2-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC's defense stood strong in the first ten minutes of the game. In the tenth minute and off a Roanoke corner, senior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) grabbed the first ball, sending it toward the top of the box. Junior AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va. / Landstown) finished off the strong defensive effort, clearing it past midfield.
- Freshman keeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) made a diving stop of what appeared to be a dangerous Roanoke attack in the 31st minute.
- R-MC had its own dangerous chance just moments later, nearly finished off by senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air), but only barely cleared away by the last Roanoke defender.
- Sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen High School) made a series of tremendous moves in the 43rd minute, which shook off three Roanoke defenders. His shot was blocked by the last-line defender though and the teams went to the break scoreless.
- Roanoke was able to break the tie with a goal from a free kick in the 55th minute.
- R-MC's defensive unit was able to stave off another attack by Roanoke in the 69th minute, capped off by a diving save by Ivanov.
- Ivanov made another pair of tough punch outs in the 76th minute. The back-to-back saves kept the score intact.
- Howell got a final look at goal in the 81st minute, but the shot went wide and Roanoke held on for the win.
Inside The Numbers
- Casarez proved to be tough to deal with all night through the defensive third and the midfield. He was able to play his opponent tight and kept displacing the Roanoke offense while winning first balls.
- Ivanov finished with two saves.
- Duffy, Beeker and sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va. / Bishop O'Connell) were in the faces of Roanoke for much of the night. They blocked multiple shots to help push the ball back into the offensive half.
- Five Yellow Jackets recorded a pair of shots each. Howell was one of those players that collected a pair of shots as he worked to generate chances for Randolph-Macon in the attacking third.
- Joining Howell with two shots were sophomore Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) and freshman Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) along with Beeker and senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine).
- Lorenz provided a spark through the middle and attacking third, earning possession and took smart and powerful shots into the box.
- Senior's speed helped keep Roanoke off-balance and allowed Randolph-Macon to get good looks at goal.
- The Yellow Jackets' strong play comes against a Maroons team ranked 15th in the nation in the D3soccer.com National Top 25 poll.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Lynchburg for a 7PM contest on Wednesday.