GETTYSBURG, Va. – The Yellow Jacket Men's Soccer team fell in overtime 4-3 to Gettysburg at Clark Field today with goals coming from Sophomore Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) and sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen High School). The first half was a back and forth with the score tied 3-3 at halftime. Senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) provided two assists on the day while Senior also grabbed an assist.
Location/Venue: Gettysburg, Va. / Clark Field
Score: Gettysburg 4, Randolph-Macon 3
Records: Randolph-Macon 7-7, 3-3 ODAC, Gettysburg 9-4-1
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets opened the scoring in the match with Howell grabbing the first goal in the opening 10 minutes. Astruc put in a cross from the left side that Howell got on the end of put past the Bullets keeper. This continued Howell's good run of form as of late and got R-MC off to the perfect start.
- Gettysburg replied quickly with two goals of their own before Senior leveled things for the Yellow Jackets off another assist from Astruc, this time coming down the right side of the pitch in the 17th minute.
- Things slowed down for the next 20 minutes after the electric start, but the Bullets went ahead again in the 33rd minute before Howell equalized for the Jackets in the 37th minute. Senior was credited with the assist for the third goal of the match for the Jackets.
- While the first half was a shootout, the second half was the exact opposite with strong defensive showings that would eventually force the game to overtime. Freshman keeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, Va. / Immaculata) recorded seven saves in the match and the backline continued to perform for R-MC.
By the Numbers:
- Senior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) led the Jackets with six shots, three of which came on target. Penny Senior and Howell both also recorded three shots. Junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) and senior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) also recorded shots on goal for R-MC.
- Ivanov recorded seven saves throughout the course of the match.
- The Yellow Jackets return to the pitch on Saturday the 26th in an away match against Ferrum at 7 PM before returning home for their final regular season game on Tuesday the 29th against Shenandoah at 7 PM.