FERRUM, Va. – The Randolph-Macon Men's soccer team recorded a 4-1 ODAC victory over the Ferrum Panthers on Saturday night pushing their record to 8-7 on the season. The Jackets used a dominant second half to impose themselves on the match with Sophomore Penny Senior grabbing a two-minute brace and Colton Howell and Judge Morgan recording the other two goals for the Yellow Jackets. This win pushed the Yellow Jackets to four straight ODAC wins, currently the longest ODAC active winning streak.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Ferrum 1
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va. / Penn-Roediger Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 8-7, 4-3 ODAC, Ferrum 10-7, 3-6 ODAC
How it Happened:
- In a defensive first half, the Yellow Jackets went back and forth with Ferrum, both attacking each other's goals. Sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen High School) forced a save out of the Ferrum keeper in the 5th minute of the match.
- Sophomore Jake Miklovic (Alexandria, Va. / Bishop Ireton High School) came into the match in the 2nd minute off the bench and put in a great shift, helping control the midfield and spreading the play out wide to the front three who were a handful for the Panther defenders all night. Senior Christian Torres (Stafford, Va. / C.D. Hylton) made his return to action as well and looked sharp after a period out injured.
- R-MC fell behind early but continued to push with junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) drawing another save in the 39th minute as the Jackets went into the half down 1-0.
- However, the Yellow Jackets came into the second half on the front foot with sophomore Penny Senior (Kingston, Jamaica / Meadowbrook) grabbing a two-minute brace in the 53rd and 54th minutes. Sophomore Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan / Kubasaki) assisted Senior's first goal before he grabbed a second, this time unassisted in the 54th to send R-MC in front.
- The pressure continued for the Jackets as senior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) forced the keeper into a save before grabbing an assist in the 63rd minute on a tidy finish from Howell.
- R-MC would grab their final goal, this time creator turned goalscorer as Judge Morgan put the finishing touches on the score line off an assist from senior defender Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) to give the Jackets the victory.
Inside the Numbers:
- The Yellow Jackets now hold the longest active ODAC winning streak at four wins on the bounce and they have scored an incredible 17 goals in the last five matches while only conceding 7.
- Howell and Senior continued their fine runs of form for the Jackets, both in the goals lately, leading the line with four shots apiece with three coming on goal for Howell and two for Senior. Niamien, Morgan, and Astruc also recorded shots on goal for R-MC.
- Astruc, Morgan, and Duffy all recorded assists for the Yellow Jackets in the 4-1 victory.
- The Jackets backline continued their strong defensive displays over the course of the season, limiting Ferrum to six shots with only two coming on target with sophomore Jason Nunez (Springfield, Va. / Bishop O'Connell) and freshman Max Radosavljevic (Mechanicsburg, Pa. / Cumberland Valley) putting in imperious performances. Freshman goalkeeper Anthony Ivanov (North Brunswick, N.J. / Immaculata) recorded one save. R-MC outshot Ferrum 13-6 on the night while also recording three corners to their two.
- Randolph-Macon will return home for their final regular season game on Tuesday the 29th against Shenandoah. That match is a 7PM kickoff.