ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon men's tennis team improved to 2-0 and 1-0 in the ODAC with a 7-2 victory over Lynchburg (0-3, 0-1 ODAC) on Saturday afternoon.
The Yellow Jackets started the day by winning all three doubles matches by a score of 8-6. At the number one spot, junior Baxter Carter (Richmond, Va./ St. Christopher's) and partner freshman Grant Sarver (Richmond, Va./ Mills Godwin) won 8-6.
The two and three spots followed suit, as senior Alex Curnow (Culpeper, Va./ Midlothian) and senior Stuart McCroskey (Newport News, Va./ Menchville) and senior Pablo Bordas (Caracas, Venezuela/ Briar Woods) and sophomore Jacob Haines (Springfield, Va./ West Springfield) also won 8-6.
At singles, Sarver picked up his second win of the day at the number three spot, defeating Zack Shane 6-2, 6-2. R-MC would win at the 3-6 spots in singles.
Also winning was Curnow who won the first set 7-6, winning the tie breaker 7-3. He won the second set 6-3. At the number five spot was McCroskey who defeated Nick Savino 6-1, 6-3.
Finally, at the number six spot, sophomore Shane Berry (Midlothian, Va./ James River) won in three sets against Alex Ferracio. He won the third set tie breaker by a score of 10-4.
R-MC will be back in action tomorrow with a road match against N.C. Wesleyan at 3 p.m.
Randolph-Macon 7, Lynchburg 2
1. Juan Borga (LCM) def. Jacob Haines (RMCM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Bryce Barber (LCM) def. Baxter Carter (RMCM) 6-3, 6-4
3. Grant Sarver (RMCM) def. Zack Shane (LCM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Alex Curnow (RMCM) def. Dominick Gutierrez (LCM) 7-6, 6-3
5. Stuart McCroskey (RMCM) def. Nick Savino (LCM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Shane Berry (RMCM) def. Alex Ferraccio (LCM) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0