ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – The Randolph-Macon men's tennis team were defeated by #41 N.C. Wesleyan 9-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Slick Family Foundation Tennis Center.
At the number three singles spot, freshman Grant Sarver (Richmond, Va./ Mills Godwin) played a tight match against Jaime Ortega. Sarver lost the first set 7-6, losing 7-5 in the tie breaker. He would lose the second set 6-4.
Sophomore Shane Berry (Midlothian, Va./ James River) had the closest match of the day at number six singles. He won the first set over Salvador Estrada 7-5. Berry would fall 6-3 in the third and lose 10-4 in the third set tie breaker.
R-MC will be back in action Saturday, March 11 with an ODAC match against Guilford.
N.C. Wesleyan 9, Randolph-Macon 0
1. Mark Sokolov (NCWM) def. Jacob Haines (RMCM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Henry Lam (NCWM) def. Baxter Carter (RMCM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jaime Ortega (NCWM) def. Grant Sarver (RMCM) 7-6, 6-4
4. Augustin Gonzalez (NCWM) def. Alex Curnow (RMCM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Richard Gende (NCWM) def. Stuart McCroskey (RMCM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Salvador Estrada (NCWM) def. Shane Berry (RMCM) 5-7, 6-3, 10-4