ASHLAND, Va. – Senior Shane Berry (Midlothian, Va. / James River) and junior Grant Sarver (Richmond, Va. / Mills Godwin) defeated their Hampden-Sydney foes on Sunday afternoon, though the Tigers took the match overall with a 7-2 victory.
Score: Hampden-Sydney 7, Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Banks Tennis Center
Records: Hampden-Sydney (6-9, 5-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (2-3, 2-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Hampden-Sydney swept the doubles competition. The Tigers took No. 1 Doubles 8-6 as the duo of Michael and Matthew Moody defeated Sarver and freshman Ryan Aud (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) 8-6.
- In No. 2 Doubles, H-SC's Grayson Burns and William Driskill defeated senior Jacob Haines (Springfield, Va. / West Springfield) and Berry 8-3.
- At No. 3 Doubles, R-MC's pair of sophomores Alex Hein (Windermere, Fla. / Windermere Preparatory School) and Erik Moulton (Yorktown, Va. / York) was ahead early but Tiger foes Clark Cummings and Tyler Brice came back to win 7-6. H-SC took a 3-0 lead into the singles competition.
- But the Yellow Jackets would get one back early in singles. Sarver made quick work of Matthew Moody, defeating the H-SC junior 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 Singles.
- In No. 6 Singles, R-MC junior Jack Aprahamian (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) battled with Brice, but fell 6-0, 6-3.
- Berry cut the H-SC lead to just two when he defeated Burns at No. 4 Singles. Berry won 6-3, 6-2.
- But the rest of the R-MC lineup was not able to cut into the lead any more, despite playing the Tigers close. At No. 3 Singles, Hein battled back from losing the first set 6-2 to Driskill. The R-MC sophomore forced a tiebreaking set in the second, but Driskill took the tiebreaker 7-3 to win the set and match 7-6.
- Haines was defeated by Michael Moody 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2 Singles.
- Aud and Cummings played an entire third set tiebreaker at No. 5 Singles. Cummings took the first set 6-2, but Aud came back to win set two 6-4. The two battled in a full third set to another tie, this time at 6-6. In the third set's tiebreak, Aud got ahead 4-0, but Cummings came back with seven straight to win the tiebreak 7-4 and the set and match 7-6.
Randolph-Macon will face Randolph on Saturday at home beginning at 1:00 PM.