ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Tennis downed the University of Lynchburg Hornets Thursday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory at home in an important conference win that could help better align the Yellow Jackets in the final ODAC standings.
Score: Randolph-Macon 7, Lynchburg 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Banks Tennis Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (5-4, 5-4 ODAC), Lynchburg (8-9, 5-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- No. 3 Doubles pairing of sophomores Alex Hein (Windermere, Fla. / Windermere Preparatory School) and Erik Moulton (Yorktown, Va. / York) tallied R-MC's first win of the afternoon with an 8-2 victory against Vincent Oliver and Brad Carson.
- Lynchburg evened the score with a victory at No. 1 Doubles as Daniel Christian and Nick Savino bested R-MC No. 1's, junior Grant Sarver (Richmond, Va. / Mills Godwin) and freshman Ryan Aud (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) 8-4.
- R-MC took the lead into singles play as seniors Jacob Haines (Richmond, Va. / Mills Godwin) and Shane Berry (Midlothian, Va. / James River) won a spirited 8-6 victory against Bryce Barber and Colton Mullins.
- In singles play, Haines scored the first win of the afternoon for R-MC as he won 6-0, 1-0 following the retirement of his opponent Barber at No. 2 Singles.
- Berry put the Yellow Jackets within one of the match victory as he defeated Savino 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 4 flight.
- Aud and Sarver secured the match for R-MC, finishing at the same time and both getting wins. Sarver defeated Mullins 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 while Aud won 6-2, 6-0 against Oliver at the fifth flight.
- Moulton closed out a win at No. 6 Singles, beating Carson 6-1, 6-4.
- Hein finished with a thriller at No. 3 Singles. His opponent Christian won the first set 6-4, but Hein came back to win the second set 6-3. That forced a ten-point tiebreak. Hein went down early 4-2, but came back with six straight points. Christian returned to tie it and eventually won 11-9, securing the final score at 7-2.
Randolph-Macon will head to Shenandoah tomorrow for play indoors because of the anticipated rain. The two Old Dominion Athletic Conference schools will square off at 5:30 PM at the Winchester Country Club.