LANGHORNE, Pa. – Randolph-Macon Men's Volleyball used late grit in a pair of sets to win a Continental Volleyball Conference match against Cairn on Saturday afternoon. It puts the Yellow Jackets at 2-0 in the CVC and 5-4 overall heading into the program's home opener next weekend.
How It Happened
- R-MC jumped out to a 4-0 lead but Cairn made a 8-4 run, which continued to give the Highlanders the tie at 14-14. The teams battled back-and-forth from there, with neither team getting ahead by more than five and with the Yellow Jackets scoring the 22-22 tie with a kill by junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va./J.R. Tucker). But Cairn finished the set off with three of the final four points and emerged victorious, 25-23.
- Randolph-Macon again got ahead early in the second set. R-MC was able to get in front 9-2 in the beginning stages of the frame. R-MC used a 5-1 run in the middle of the set to go ahead 18-5. After trading a few points, the Yellow Jackets closed on a 5-3 run to win the set 25-13.
- For the third set in a row, Randolph-Macon got a significant advantage early. The Yellow Jackets got ahead 6-2, but the Highlanders stayed close behind. Cairn got as close as two in the middle of the set with R-MC building a 14-12 lead. Cairn got a four-point run late as well to tie the set at 21-21, but R-MC scored four of the last six points to win the set 25-23.
- Randolph-Macon built a 5-1 lead in the early stages of the fourth set, but Cairn went on a 8-1 tear to take the advantage 9-6. The Highlanders kept the lead until the Yellow Jackets were able to go on a 6-1 run to cut the Highlander lead to one, but Cairn kept advancing its lead. A 20-16 advantage for the Highlanders melted away as R-MC score three in a row, forcing a Cairn timeout. Out of the timeout, Cairn was able to score three of the next four, but R-MC ripped off four points in a row to take the lead 24-23. Cairn tied it and the two teams traded points until R-MC scored to in a row on a pair of Cairn attack errors to win the set and the match.
Inside The Numbers
- Junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) and Jungers led the Yellow Jackets with 16 and 11 kills respectively.
- Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) led R-MC defensively with 19 digs, followed by junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) with 11 digs.
- Freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) led R-MC at the net with five blocks. Freshmen Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) and Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) each added four and Jungers had three, including one solo block.
- Sampson and Olenyik each had a service ace.
- Stephen led R-MC with 36 assists.
- R-MC hit .188% for the match and held Cairn to hit just -.007%.
Randolph-Macon will host the program's home opener on Friday at 7:30 PM against Immaculata. A special pregame presentation will precede the match. R-MC will then host a tri-match with Ramapo and Bluefield on Saturday in the Brock Center on Randolph-Macon's campus. R-MC will face Ramapo at 10:00 AM, the two guests will play at 12:00 Noon and the Yellow Jackets return to the court against Bluefield at 2:00 PM.