ASHLAND, Va. – In front of a lively crowd of close to 900, Randolph-Macon Men's Volleyball closed down its inaugural home match with a sweep of Immaculata Friday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Immaculata 0 (25-8, 25-10, 25-20)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-4, 3-0 CVC), Immaculata (0-7, 0-4 CVC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon opened the game with 11 straight points before allowing a single score to the Mighty Macs. Immaculata had just one opportunity to score more than one point in a row through the rest of the set and R-MC cruised to a 25-8 victory in the first frame.
- After tallying a 1-1 tie, R-MC went on a tear again, this time early in the second set. The Yellow Jackets scored seven straight points, pushing ahead 8-1. Again, the Mighty Macs could only score more than a single point in a row just one time, well after R-MC had the set in hand, winning 25-10. Randolph-Macon collected a 5-0 run through the middle stages of the set as well as a 3-0 run towards the closing moments.
- After the Yellow Jackets got ahead 4-0 early in the third frame, Immaculata got the score within two at 4-6 and 7-5. But a 5-0 run pushed R-MC ahead 11-5 as freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) scored a pair of service aces as R-MC kept driving the advantage. R-MC put small runs of 2-0 together twice, getting to the 24-15 match point. But Immaculata found a 5-0 run for themselves, cutting the Yellow Jacket lead to four. A service error would doom the Mighty Macs however and gave the Yellow Jackets and their energetic supporters a match victory in the first-ever men's volleyball game in Crenshaw Gymnasium.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon hit .302 for the match, including .600 in the first set and .611 in the second set.
- Freshmen Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) and Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) led the Yellow Jackets with six kills each. Junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va. / J.R. Tucker) and Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) as well as freshman Kyle Alberici (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero North Syracuse) each made five kills.
- Freshman Merrick Gessler (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) made 21 assists while junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) added seven.
- Olenyik led R-MC with seven service aces. Five of them came as part of the 7-0 run in the early stages of the second frame. Carter added four service aces with Sampson adding three, Alberici and Gessler throwing in two and Stephen and freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) each adding one to total 20 on the night for Randolph-Macon.
- Logan led R-MC defensively with eight digs. Gessler added three and Alberici, Sampson, Carter, Jungers and freshman Arjay Harris (Chesapeake, Va. / Hickory) each had two.
- Before the match, Randolph-Macon College president Robert Lindgren and Trustee Macon Brock III presented Head Coach Jared Horrigan with a ceremonial volleyball to mark the occasion. The Brock Family was instrumental in providing financial support to allow the Men's Volleyball program to take shape.
- The match also featured an appearance from the Chic-Fil-A Cow, special prizes and T-Shirts for fans as well as a Chic-Fil-A food spread for students following the match.
- The Yellow Jackets are tied with three other teams in the Continental Volleyball Conference for not having any losses at this stage in the season: Southern Virginia, Kean and Marymount (Va.). Southern Virginia has four wins in the CVC, while Kean, Marymount (Va.) and Randolph-Macon each have three wins in the conference.
The Yellow Jackets will take on Ramapo at 10:00 AM in a Continental Volleyball Conference tomorrow morning and Bluefield at 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. Both matches will take place in the Brock Center. The two visitors will play each other at 12 Noon as well.