ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Volleyball was not able to overcome a pair of tough opponents Saturday afternoon as the Yellow Jackets fell twice, first to conference-mate Ramapo and then against Bluefield College in non-conference action.
Ramapo 3, Randolph-Macon 0
- Randolph-Macon owned the better team hitting percentage, but Ramapo was able to edge out the Yellow Jackets each set as the Roadrunners took the match 25-22, 25-20, 27-25.
- R-MC was able to sneak out to the 3-0 lead and advance it to 8-2, forcing a Ramapo timeout. But the Roadrunners were able to prevent any long runs by Randolph-Macon from that point on and began to creep back into the set. R-MC got an 18-13 lead before Ramapo came storming back and got its first lead of the set, thanks to 8-2 run that put it ahead 21-20. The Roadrunners scored four of the last six to win the set 25-22.
- Ramapo would not allow another close call in the second frame. After R-MC knotted the score at 4-4, Ramapo jumped out with a 6-1 run to go ahead 9-5. R-MC pulled as close as two at 11-13 but could not get any closer early. The Yellow Jackets did close on the lead with a 4-1 run in the middle of the set, pulling the score within one to 15-16 and got another one-point deficit at 19-20, but Ramapo closed the set out with a 5-1 run to win 25-20.
- The third set was close initially, building up to a 9-9 tie until the Roadrunners broke the set open with six straight points, going ahead with a 15-9 advantage. R-MC got a 4-1 run to pull within three at 14-17 and then scored five in a row late to pull to just a two point deficit at 20-22, but the Roadrunners pulled to within one of ending the match at 24-20. The Yellow Jackets weren't done at that point though. R-MC scored four straight points, tying the match at 24-24 and then again at 25-25. But a pair of kills ended R-MC's comeback bid as Ramapo won 27-25.
- Freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) led R-MC with 11 kills and made three blocks. Freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) led R-MC at the net with seven blocks, including two solo efforts. Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) made 12 digs, a team high.
- R-MC hit .314 in the first set, making 14 kills and just three errors.
Bluefield 3, Randolph-Macon 1
- Bluefield had the advantage in the first two sets, but Randolph-Macon won the third, staging a chance at a comeback bid before Bluefield closed the door in the fourth set, winning 25-22, 25-18, 20-25, 25-18.
- The teams battled closely early on in the first set. Bluefield pulled the score to 7-7 after getting ahead early before R-MC hit a 3-0 to go ahead 7-5. R-MC took a 13-9 lead out of the tie with Bluefield continuing to fight back as the Rams cut the Yellow Jacket lead to just one at 13-12. As R-MC continued to expand its advantage, Bluefield suddenly hit its stride with a 9-1 run to take a 22-18 lead. R-MC got as close as two at 21-23, but Bluefield took the set 25-22.
- Bluefield scored a 7-2 run early in the second set, which pushed them in front 10-7. The Rams kept the pace and Randolph-Macon never could get a solid drive going as Bluefield took the set 25-18.
- Bluefield's push continued into the third set as the Rams took a 4-1 lead. R-MC began trading points with the Rams until the Yellow Jackets hit a 5-2 run to tie the set at 10-10. The teams faced ties at points 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 until Randolph-Macon jumped out in front with a two score lead at 17-15. That small edge was enough to get the Yellow Jackets the set victory 25-20.
- With Randolph-Macon fighting to even the match, the Yellow Jackets held the set close early into the fourth frame. Neither team got a solid advantage until Bluefield struck a 5-1 run to go ahead 20-16. R-MC scored just twice more en route to the 18-25 loss.
- Junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) tallied 22 kills on 44 attacks to tally a hitting percentage of .341. Fellow junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va. / J.R. Tucker) tallied nine kills as well. Freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) led the Yellow Jackets with two blocks. Logan led R-MC defensively with 15 digs. Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) and freshman Kyle Alberici (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero North Syracuse) each had two service aces. Stephen led R-MC with 26 assists.
- As the visitors faced each other in the midday match, Bluefield defeated Ramapo 3-1.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Wilson to play in a non-conference match on Saturday at 1:00 PM.