ARLINGTON, Va. – Randolph-Macon came close to getting a lead on its Continental Volleyball Conference foes Marymount Wednesday evening, but never could advance as the Saints defeated Men's Volleyball in straight sets.
Score: Marymount 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-21, 25-18, 25-19)
Location/Venue: Arlington, Va./Converse Fieldhouse
Records: Marymount (8-10 (6-3 CVC)), Randolph-Macon (8-9, 3-4 CVC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon was in the hunt for the lead early in the first set. After Marymount got ahead 3-1, R-MC got the set to 3-6 before the Saints took off again getting out in front by five. The teams traded service errors for nearly four points in the middle of the set. Marymount got in front 17-11 and 19-13 before R-MC used four straight attack errors to cut the lead to just three again. A 3-0 by the Saints helped get them further in front and R-MC could not make it back as Marymount won 25-21.
- The Saints got out by three to start out the second frame. Marymount also hit a 9-3 run to go ahead 16-8. R-MC hit a 3-0 run in the final stages of the set, but Marymount finished the set with a win 25-18.
- For the second set in a row, Marymount started with a 3-0 run before the Yellow Jackets were able to score a pair. R-MC kept advancing and tied the set at 5-5 with a kill from junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va. / J.R. Tucker). Marymount kept the pressure on though as the Saints went on a 4-1 run, giving them the 10-6 lead. The Saints were able to keep the distance and got ahead by as many as five and R-MC could never get a run going as Marymount won the set and match 25-19.
Inside The Numbers
- Jungers, fellow junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) and freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) each made five kills. Sampson did not commit an error as he made eight attempts.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) led the team with 17 assists, which represented the Yellow Jackets' entire collection of in that category.
- Jungers was active at the net with five blocks. Freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) also tallied four blocks.
- Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) tallied a match-high nine digs.
The Yellow Jackets will get more than a week off before returning to face Stevenson at 7:00 PM on Friday, March 15 in Owings Mills, Md. The team then travels to Messiah for a tri-match with Falcons and Widener beginning at 1:00 PM on Saturday, March 16.