OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) made seven kills and two blocks to total nine points on the evening, but the sixth-ranked Mustangs proved to be too much as Stevenson defeated Randolph-Macon 3-0 in Friday night non-conference action.
Score: #6 Stevenson 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-14, 15-16, 25-16)
Location/Venue: Owings Mills, Md./Owings Mills Gym
Records: Stevenson (18-3), Randolph-Macon (8-10)
How It Happened
- Stevenson jumped out to a 4-0 lead and parlayed that into an 8-2 lead shortly after. The Mustangs hit a 5-0 run just a few points later, going ahead 15-5. R-MC caught a 4-1 run and scored another pair of consecutive points, but Stevenson closed the set with a 25-14 win.
- R-MC played the first part of the second frame closer. After Stevenson got in front 3-1, R-MC climbed back and cut the Mustang lead to one twice. R-MC then tallied two in a row a few points later, which tied the set at 7-7. The Yellow Jackets got a tie at 8-8 after a service error moments later, but a 6-1 run put the Mustangs up considerably and Stevenson maintained the distance, winning the set 25-16.
- Stevenson took the lead for the third set in a row and was able to keep R-MC at arm's length. R-MC got as close as two at 4-6, 5-7 and 7-9, but a 7-1 run for Stevenson gave the Mustangs a 17-9 lead. R-MC got a 4-1 run late in the set to cut Stevenson's lead to five, but the Mustangs closed the set out with a 25-16 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- Outside of Olenyik's seven kills, R-MC also got four kills from freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) and three from freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River).
- Junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va. / J.R. Tucker) and freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) joined Olenyik with two blocks at the net. Sampson added one as well.
- Olenyik also led the team with five digs. Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) added three and Iverson, Sampson and freshman Kyle Alberici (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero North Syracuse) each added two.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) led the team in assists with 14.
R-MC will compete in the Messiah Tri-match tomorrow. The Yellow Jackets will face the hosting Falcons at 1:00 PM and Widener at 3:00 PM.