ASHLAND, Va. – The 11th-ranked Southern Virginia Knights proved to be too much for Randolph-Macon men's volleyball to handle as the Knights won 3-0 in a Saturday afternoon Continental Volleyball Conference match.
Score: Southern Virginia 3, Randolph-Macon 0 (25-11, 25-18, 25-16)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Southern Virginia (18-2, 9-0 CVC), Randolph-Macon (9-13, 3-6 CVC)
How It Happened
- Southern Virginia took a commanding lead early in the first set. Getting ahead 4-0, SVU then advanced the lead to 15-5 before Randolph-Macon was able to string a run together. The Yellow Jackets hit a 6-3 run that cut SVU's lead to seven, but the Knights closed the set on an 8-1 run to win 25-11.
- Randolph-Macon claimed the first point of the second set as freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) knocked down a kill, but SVU pushed from there and jumped ahead 7-3. R-MC closed the gap to two, but a 6-1 run helped Southern Virginia get ahead 14-7. R-MC hit a 6-1 run, but the cushion, along with a 7-2 run late, helped Southern Virginia win the set 25-18.
- After the Yellow Jackets got the first point of the third set on a service ace from freshman Merrick Gessler (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox), Southern Virginia made a run of 6-0 to gain the early advantage. R-MC strong kills from freshman Kyle Alberici (Cicero, N.Y. / Cicero North Syracuse), along with making use of Southern Virginia errors to cut the Knight lead to 13-8. Southern Virginia then strung together another six points in a row to get ahead 19-8. R-MC scored six of the next eight to get closer to the Knights, but SVU got the final points to win 25-16.
Inside The Numbers
- Iverson led the team with five kills, while Alberici and junior Corban Jungers (Richmond, Va. / J.R. Tucker) each threw in four kills.
- In addition to Gessler's ace, Jungers added one as well to total two for R-MC.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) made eight assists on the game. Gessler was close behind with seven.
- Freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) led the Yellow Jackets with four digs.
- Jungers and Iverson each made two blocks while Carter and fellow freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) each had one.
Randolph-Macon will close CVC action next week as Elizabethtown and Juniata both visit Crenshaw Gym. R-MC will play Elizabethtown at 7:00 PM on Friday evening. The Yellow Jackets will then play Juniata at 4:30 PM on Saturday afternoon. Note: The original start time against Juniata was 1:00 PM and was published that way on programs, schedule cards and online.