ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) delivered 21 kills, and junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) recorded 32 assists, as the Randolph-Macon men's volleyball team posted a 3-0 Continental Volleyball Conference victory over Elzabethtown on Friday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Elizabethtown 0 (25-18, 25-13, 27-25)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 10-13, 4-6 CVC; EC 11-17, 4-6 CVC
How It Happened
- The Blue Jays built an 8-6 lead in Game 1 before R-MC used a 10-0 run to go ahead 16-8. EC closed to within four at 17-13 before a kill by Olenyik stopped the mini-run. The Blue Jays got within three at 21-18 before a kill by Olenyik sparked a 4-0 spurt as the Yellow Jackets claimed the 25-18 win. Freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va./Frank W. Cox) had the game-winning kill for R-MC. Olenyik had eight kills, 12 total attacks and a hit percentage of .583, while Carter added four kills and eight total attacks. Stephen had 13 of the team's 14 assists. Olenyik paced the home team with five digs.
- EC had the first three points in Game 2 and put together a 7-4 advantage before R-MC scored 11 consecutive points to grab a 15-7 lead. The Blue Jays narrowed the deficit to six at 18-12 before the Yellow Jackets scored six of the final seven points to record a 25-13 win. Carter again had the game-clinching kill. Olenyik had eight kills and 14 total attacks, while Carter added four kills. Junior Corban Jungers (Ashland, Va./J.R. Tucker) and freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va./Indian River) each had three kills. Stephen had 10 assists, while freshman Merrick Gessler (Virginia Beach, Va./Frank W. Cox) tallied four. Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va./Patrick Henry) topped the team with four digs.
- Game 3 was a tight affair. The teams were tied at 3-3 before EC scored three straight to take a 6-3 edge. R-MC answered with three in a row to level the score at 6-6. The Blue Jays built a four-point lead at 16-12 before the Yellow Jackets scored four straight to tie it again at 16-16. A kill by Sampson gave R-MC an 18-17 edge, its first lead since 1-0. EC put up two straight points to reclaim the lead at 19-18. A kill by Olenyik sparked a two-point spurt as the Yellow Jackets went up 20-19. The Blue Jays had three straight points to take a 22-20 advantage. R-MC pulled within one before a kill by Olenyik and a combined block by Olenyik, Carter and freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash./Chiawana) gave the Yellow Jackets a 23-22 edge. EC used a pair of kills to go ahead 24-23 before a kill by Olenyik tied it at 24-24. A service error by R-MC gave EC a 25-24 advantage. A kill by Carter tied it at 25-25 before a pair of attack errors by the Blue Jays gave the final game to the Yellow Jackets, 27-25. Olenyik had five kills and 13 total attacks, while Stephen had nine assists.
Inside the Numbers
- Olenyik finished with 21 kills, 39 total attacks and hit percentage of .359. He also had eight digs and a pair of blocks.
- Carter had 10 kills, 19 total attacks and hit percentage of .333. He paced the victors with nine digs.
- Logan had eight digs, while Jungers registered seven digs.
- Randolph-Macon will host Juniata on Saturday, March 30 at 4:30 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.