SPRINGFIELD, Ohio – Randolph-Macon tallied 13 team blocks and recorded three solo blocks in an active match at the net as Men's Volleyball visited Wittenberg on Thursday evening.
Score: Wittenberg 3, Randolph-Macon 1 (27-25, 25-21, 19-25, 25-22)
Location/Venue: Springfield, Ohio/The Old Gym
Records: Wittenberg (17-10), Randolph-Macon (10-15)
How It Happened
- R-MC took advantage of three straight errors by Wittenberg to get on top 3-0. R-MC kept the advantage until the Tigers were able to tie the set at 6-6 and 7-7. From there, the Yellow Jackets locked in a push-and-pull contest with Wittenberg, where neither team got an advantage by more than two, all the way up to a 25-25 tie. But Wittenberg scored the final two points to get the first set victory.
- Two service aces helped propel Wittenberg ahead in the second set. That cushion helped the Tigers to an 11-3 lead. After both teams added two in a row, the Yellow Jackets got a 6-1 run that cut the Wittenberg lead to just three. The Tigers were able to keep the lead to win 25-21, though R-MC challenged with a 7-1 run late.
- Early ties were a hallmark of the third set, with the teams tying at 2-2, 3-3 and 4-4. R-MC got a slight edge as junior Lee Olenyik (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) scored a pair of service aces in a row, putting R-MC ahead 7-5. The Yellow Jackets never relinquished the lead, even in the face of a 6-2 Wittenberg run. After R-MC scored two in a row to go ahead 15-12, neither team scored consecutively for the remainder of the set, proving R-MC's early lead crucial as the Yellow Jackets won 25-19.
- In the fourth set, Wittenberg jumped out in front 8-3 in the early stages. The Tigers got another four in a row until R-MC broke the run with its own run of 3-0. R-MC cut the lead late with a 6-1 run to a 15-19 score. The Yellow Jackets also came on strong late with a 7-3 run in the final stages, but Wittenberg got the match point to win 25-22.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC hit .348 in the third set, which was its best of the evening and the only winning set for the Yellow Jackets.
- Olenyik tallied a match-high 19 kills on 39 attacks to total a .308 hitting percentage. He also led the team with three service aces. Freshman Merrick Gessler (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) added the only other R-MC service ace, while also throwing in a kill and a block.
- Junior Brian Stephen (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) racked up 31 assists.
- Freshman Connor Logan (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) totaled 14 digs to lead the team.
- Freshman Lenny Sampson, Jr. (Chesapeake, Va. / Indian River) finished with six blocks, including one solo block. Freshman Dayne Iverson (Pasco, Wash. / Chiawana) added five while freshman Scotty Carter (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) had four, including one solo block. In total, eight Yellow Jackets recorded at least one block.
Randolph-Macon will play its final game of the season tomorrow at Hiram at 6:00 PM.