ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) knocked in the winning run, sending senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) home in the bottom of the fourth inning as the 22nd-ranked Randolph-Macon softball team defeated 12th-ranked Rowan on Friday afternoon 1-0.
The Yellow Jackets and Profs tried to play a second game, but the matchup had to be suspended in the top of the third inning. The game will not be made up and statistics from the contest will not count.
Score: #22 Randolph-Macon 1, #12 Rowan 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Softball Field
Records: #22 Randolph-Macon (5-2), #12 Rowan (1-2)
How It Happened
- Senior pitcher Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) got a 1-2-3 inning to lead off the game. In the bottom half of the inning, R-MC senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) was issued a walk, but was out on a double play. In the second inning, Rowan got a runner on, but R-MC took care of her with a fielder's choice and couldn't get anything rolling in its half of the inning. A 1-2-3 inning in the third for R-MC gave way to another chance with a pair of runners in the bottom of the third, but neither came across as the side was retired.
- Rowan was able to record the first hit of the game in the top of the fourth, but R-MC shut any scoring chances down as Whittemore tallied a strikeout and got another batter to ground out.
- R-MC scored the only run of the game in the bottom of the fourth. Wood reached base via an error by the shortstop. Senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) moved Wood to second on a sacrifice and Wood moved to third on a wild pitch. Stone then grounded out, but tallied the RBI as Wood came home.
- Both teams went three-up and three-down in the fifth and sixth innings.
- After Rowan led off the top of the seventh with a base hit, the Profs sacrificed to move the runner to second. But Whittemore fanned two at the plate to secure the victory.
Inside The Numbers
- Roth earned two walks on the day.
- Whittemore gave up no runs while striking out six batters. She earned the win, her third of 2019.
Randolph-Macon will face Wilkes beginning at 12:00 Noon tomorrow at the R-MC Softball Field