Posted: Mar 09, 2019
Ashland, Va. – Randolph-Macon sophomores Kaitlyn Deeter (Roanoke, Va. / Lord Botetourt) and Ali Celeberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) both drove in three runs during the nightcap as the Yellow Jackets swept Wilkes by final scores of 5-0 in the early game, and 10-0 in the second.
The 22nd-ranked Yellow Jackets completed a strong weekend with two shutouts of Wilkes to move to 7-2 on the season.
Score: #22 Randolph-Macon 5, Wilkes 0; #22 Randolph-Macon 10, Wilkes 0
Location: Ashland, Va. / R-MC Softball Field
Records: #22 Randolph-Macon (7-2), Wilkes (3-4)
How it Happened:
- Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) set the Colonels down in order in the top of the first before junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) was hit by a pitch and swiped second. Whittemore singled back to the pitcher advancing Stone to third who was able to score on a throwing error by the pitcher to give the Yellow Jackets an early lead.
- After quickly retiring the Colonels again, junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) sent a double into the left field gap and advanced to third on a groundout to shortstop by junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill).
- Wilkes got their first hit of the game in the top of the fourth but couldn't produce anything else as R-MC closed out the game in the bottom half of the frame. Davidson singled to right field before Scifres followed her up by sending a single back up the middle. Deeter walked to load the bases before senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) blasted a triple over the right fielder's head to clear the bases and put R-MC ahead 5-0.
- Whittemore finished the game strong, only allowing two more hits over the next three innings and striking out six to improve her record to 4-1 on the season.
- The Yellow Jacket bats were hot early in Game 2 as sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) retired the Colonels in order before Roth singled and promptly stole second. Stone then singled, advancing Roth to third before stealing second herself. Senior Savannah Wood (Tappahanock, Va. / Essex) hit a sac fly to left field scoring Roth and advancing Stone to third. Celiberti followed that up with a double to left field that would score Stone and give R-MC the 2-0 advantage. But the scoring wasn't done yet as Scifres and Deeter hit back to back doubles to put the Yellow Jackets up 4-0 at the end of the first inning.
- Randolph-Macon continued to pour it on in the second inning. After a leadoff double from Roth, Stone yanked a ball down the left field line that would score Roth, followed up by a single to right center from Wood. Celiberti ripped a ball back up the middle that would score Stone and Wood and give Celiberti her 2nd and 3rd RBI's of the day. Davidson would then single followed by a walk drawn by Scifres which would load the bases. Deeter stepped up and laced a ball back up the middle to score two more Yellow Jackets. Sophomore Megan Smith (Lexington, Va. / Rockbridge County) would put a ball in play that the infield couldn't handle allowing Scifres to score to put R-MC up 10-0.
- Rhoads was lights out for the next two innings, allowing one hit and striking out five Colonels.
- Freshman Kellie Ferguson (Capron, Va. / Southampton Academy) would close out the game allowing two hits and no runs
Randolph-Macon will face Rhode Island College on Monday March, 11 with the first pitch coming at 2 p.m.