ASHLAND, Va. – 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon softball scored five runs en route to a win against national No. 1 Virginia Wesleyan as the Yellow Jackets split a doubleheader with VWU Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 1, Randolph-Macon 0; Randolph-Macon 5, Virginia Wesleyan 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Softball Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (11-4, 1-1 ODAC), Virginia Wesleyan (16-1, 3-1 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- The lone score of the game happened in the third inning. VWU's Kaylah Duplain homered to left center field.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) hit her second double of the season in the second inning.
- Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) earned two walks on the game.
- Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry), who earlier in the day had been named the Louisville Slugger/National Fastpitch Coaches Association National Pitcher of the Week, struck out four batters.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) opened the bottom of the first inning with a single through the right side. The following batter, Stone, was safe on an error by VWU's pitcher. Both runners were advanced by Whittemore, who laid down a sacrifice bunt. Senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) then batted Roth in with a single. Wood stole second, leaving R-MC runners at second and third. Davidson then grounded out, but earned the RBI as Stone scored.
- VWU earned one run back in the top of the third after putting two runners on and scoring on a single.
- R-MC got the bats going again in the fifth inning. With an out, Roth reached first on an error and was sent home by Stone, who doubled to left field. After the second out of the inning and with Stone still aboard, Wood singled up the middle and advanced to second while Stone scored. Davidson then got Wood home with a single, finalizing R-MC's line with five runs.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- Roth was 2-4 on the game with a pair of runs.
- Wood and Davidson each earned two RBIs while both going 2-3.
- Stone's double marked her third of 2019.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) struck out two batters in the complete game effort.
#24 Randolph-Macon will face #15 Lynchburg at Moon Field in Lynchburg beginning at 1:00 PM on Saturday.