LYNCHBURG, Va. – 24th-ranked Randolph-Macon softball fell to the 15th-ranked Lynchburg Hornets in a Saturday afternoon doubleheader on the Hornets' home turf.
Score: Lynchburg 4, Randolph-Macon 1; Lynchburg 7, Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./Moon Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (11-6, 1-3 ODAC), Lynchburg (18-4, 3-1 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- The game remained scoreless until the third inning. Lynchburg hit a home run to center field with two runners on to break the no-score game.
- Lynchburg added a run in the bottom of the fifth inning, extending its lead to 4-0.
- Randolph-Macon scored its first in the top of the sixth inning. Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) was hit by a pitch and was batted to second on a single by senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex). Sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) reached on an error by the right fielder, loading the bases. Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) then earned the RBI as she batted Stone in for the run, but it would be the only one of the game for R-MC.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Wood went 2-3 on the game. Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) also earned a hit in the game, while Stone and senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) each earned a walk.
- Whittemore struck out five inside the circle in her six innings of work.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Randolph-Macon struck first. In the top of the first inning, Stone hit a one-out single through the left side. She advanced to second after a walk was issued to Wood. Celiberti hit into a fielder's choice, which left two runners on for R-MC for LaPrade. The senior singled to right field, which brought Wood home from second and gave R-MC the 1-0 lead.
- Lynchburg did not let R-MC keep the advantage for long; the Hornets scored three in the bottom of the first inning as a one-out double brought two Hornets home. A follow-up single scored one more and gave Lynchburg the 3-1 lead going into the second inning.
- The Hornets added two more on a two-out single in the bottom of the second inning to extend their lead.
- In the top of the fourth inning, LaPrade led the inning off with a single. Junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) was sent in to pinch run and she promptly advanced to second on a wild pitch. Davidson earned a walk and junior Brooklyne Carr (Windsor, Va. / Nansemond-Suffolk Academy) advanced the runners with a sacrifice bunt. After a lineout marked the second out of the inning for R-MC, Hill scored on a wild pitch, cutting the Lynchburg lead to just three.
- But the Hornets would score in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings and ensure a LYN victory.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- LaPrade was 2-3 with the Yellow Jackets' only RBI of the game.
- Junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) went 1-1 in her pinch hitting situation.
- Wood and Celiberti were each 1-3 at the plate, with Wood earning one walk as well.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) struck out two batters from inside the circle in the day's nightcap.
Randolph-Macon will face Eastern Mennonite beginning at 3:00 PM on Tuesday in a home doubleheader.