ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) tallied four RBIs, two in each game, as 24th-ranked softball swept Eastern Mennonite in a pair of Tuesday afternoon conference games.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Eastern Mennonite 0; Randolph-Macon 6, Eastern Mennonite 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Softball Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (13-6, 3-3 ODAC), Eastern Mennonite (12-10, 2-6 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- Junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill) got it all started for R-MC in the bottom of the third inning. She sent a double to right center and then was batted to third on a sacrifice bunt by junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's). Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) batted Scifres in with a single back to the pitcher. Roth then got into scoring position, stealing second before advancing to third on a wild pitch. Wood batted Roth in, tallying her first RBI of the afternoon and sending R-MC out of the inning with a 2-0 lead.
- Randolph-Macon added one more in the bottom of the fifth inning. Roth singled to lead off the inning and proceeded to take second on a passed ball. Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Roth to third. Wood then sent a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Roth.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Roth finished 2-3 on the game with two runs and an RBI.
- Wood was 1-1 with a walk earned and the two RBIs.
- Scifres finished 2-3 and scored a run.
- Senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) earned the win while striking out six Royals and allowing just a lone walk.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Randolph-Macon got started early in the second game of the afternoon. Roth walked to lead off the bottom of the first inning. She stole second and was bunted over by Stone, who was retired on the sacrifice. Wood then tallied RBI three of the day, sending a single to right center and bringing Roth home.
- R-MC added to the lead in the bottom of the second. Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) singled down the right field line to lead off the inning. She was followed by sophomore Kaitlyn Deeter (Roanoke, Va. / Lord Botetourt) who reached on an error, which moved Davidson to third. Deeter stole second and first base became occupied soon after when junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) walked. Roth singled, batting Davidson in and earning the RBI. Stone then batted Deeter home on a sacrifice fly to center field. R-MC ended the inning ahead 3-0.
- The Yellow Jackets tacked one on in the third inning. With one out, Deeter got on the basepaths after hitting into a fielder's choice. She stole second and then came home as Sanderford hit a single to right center.
- R-MC finished its scoring in the bottom of the sixth inning. Sanderford earned a lead-off walk and sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) replaced her on the basepaths. Steinruck moved to second as Roth laid down a sacrifice bunt. Stone then batted Steinruck home on a double to left center. Wood batted Stone in during the next at-bat, sending a double down the left field line.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- Wood went 2-4 with the pair of RBIs and a run scored.
- Senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) was 2-3 on the game with one walk earned as well.
- Sanderford was 1-1 for two walks earned and the RBI.
- Roth was 1-2 with a run, an RBI and a walk.
- Stone earned a pair of RBIs in game two as she went 1-2 and scored a run.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) earned eight strikeouts while allowing just two hits and two walks.
Randolph-Macon will visit Guilford on Saturday at 12:30 PM and will continue its trek to Emory & Henry on Sunday with a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 PM.