BRIDGEWATER, Va. – Randolph-Macon sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) earned her first start inside the circle and then helped herself to the win by sending a home run over the fence in left center field in the fourth inning of the day's second contest at Bridewater. It was one of two RBIs for Celiberti in the game. Earlier in the Tuesday afternoon matchup, Bridgewater bested Randolph-Macon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action in the Shenandoah Valley.
Game 1: Bridgewater 7, Randolph-Macon 1
Game 2: Randolph-Macon 7, Bridgewater 3
Location/Venue: Fulk Field/Bridgewater, Va.
Records: Randolph-Macon (18-11, 7-7 ODAC), Bridgewater (21-13, 8-8 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- Bridgewater scored first in the bottom of the second, but Randolph-Macon quickly answered. Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) led off the top of the third inning with a single. She was moved over on a sacrifice bunt by junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). Senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) then smashed a double to left field, scoring Roth and tying the game at 1-1.
- But Bridgewater would score four in the bottom of the fifth inning and two in the bottom of the sixth inning to win 7-1.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Roth and senior Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) were both 2-3.
- Wood went 3-4 with the Yellow Jackets' lone RBI.
- Roth and Wood each had a stolen base as well.
- Inside the circle, Whittemore struck out ten, her new season-high.
How It Happened – Game Two
- In the day's second contest, the Eagles scored first with a run in the bottom of the first inning.
- Senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) got the offense going for the Yellow Jackets to take the lead in the top of the second. She doubled to right field to lead off the inning and was replaced on the basepaths by sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). After an R-MC out, Celiberti doubled to left field to score Steinruck. Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) then drove Celiberti in with a single. The Yellow Jackets took a 2-1 lead out of the inning, but Bridgewater tied the game in the bottom of the second.
- R-MC got the lead back in the top of the third. Junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) led the inning off with a double to left field. Roth advanced her to third with a single. After Bridgewater got two R-MC outs on the board, LaPrade brought both runners home with a double.
- Celiberti tacked one more on for R-MC with a lead-off home run in the top of the fourth to put R-MC ahead 4-1.
- After BC added one in the bottom of the fourth, the Yellow Jackets answered back in the top of the fifth. Junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) tripled with two outs, bringing home Stone, who had led off the inning with a single.
- R-MC added one last run in the top of the sixth. Davidson led off with a single to left field. She was moved to second by junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill) and brought home by Sanderford, who singled to center field.
Inside The Numbers – Game 2
- Celiberti earned her first Randolph-Macon start and earned the win, going the distance in the circle while striking out two.
- Sanderford didn't miss in a single at-bat, going 3-3 with an RBI and a run.
- LaPrade finished the game 3-4 with 2 RBIs.
- Celiberti and Stone were each 2-4, with Celiberti earning a pair of RBIs and two runs as well.
- Davidson finished 2-3 with an RBI and a run.
- Roth and Hill tallied stolen bases.
Randolph-Macon will face Roanoke on Saturday beginning at 1:00 PM at the R-MC Softball Field. The doubleheader is part of a full weekend at home for R-MC. The team also faces Randolph on Sunday beginning at 1:30 PM. Sunday will also mark senior day for the Yellow Jackets.