ASHLAND, Va. – On their Senior Day, Randolph-Macon's six softball seniors made their impacts known as Randolph-Macon swept the Randolph WildCats Sunday afternoon. Seniors Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton), Sarah Cimring (Chesapeake, Va. / Great Bridge), Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex), Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent), Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) and Casey Abernethy (Prince George, Va. / Prince George) each had at least one productive at-bat and Whittemore earned the afternoon's first win inside the circle.
Game 1: Randolph-Macon 8, Randolph 0 (6 Innings)
Game 2: Randolph-Macon 10, Randolph 1 (5 Innings)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Softball Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (20-11, 9-7 ODAC), Randolph (15-22-1, 4-15)
How It Happened – Game One
- Cimring earned a walk in the bottom of the first inning, earning the team's first productive at-bat of the game. Cimring earned the start at second base.
- The R-MC offense began to bring runners home in the bottom of the second inning. With one out, Whittemore bunted for a single, but was retired as junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) hit into a fielder's choice. Junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee), drove Davidson home with an RBI double to left center. Abernethy earned a walk next and Roth finished out the inning with an RBI single up the middle to score Sanderford.
- Again working with one out, R-MC added more in the bottom of the third. LaPrade singled to short and advanced to second on a wild pitch. She was replaced on second by junior Sam Scifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill). Junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's) brought Scifres home with a home run to center field. With the basepaths clear, R-MC began to put more Yellow Jackets aboard. Whittemore earned a walk and Sanderford was hit by a pitch. Now working with two outs, Abernethy drove Whittemore in with an RBI single through the right side. Roth earned a base on a walk, which was followed by a wild pitch during Cimring's at-bat to score Sanderford.
- One more came across in the fourth for R-MC. LaPrade brought Wood home with a double down the left field line. Wood had singled with a bunt in the previous at-bat.
- R-MC ended the game with a single by Whittemore, which scored sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). Steinruck was running for LaPrade, who had singled to lead off the inning. Hill sent Steinruck over to third with a sacrifice bunt in her at-bat.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Whittemore struck out six while shutting out the WildCats in the complete game effort. She allowed just one hit.
- LaPrade was 3-4 on the day with an RBI.
- Whittemore went 2-3 with and RBI, a run and walk.
- Hill led the team with two RBIs. Her home run was the second of the season.
- Roth earned two walks on the game.
- Roth, Wood, Whittemore and junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) each had a stolen base.
How It Happened – Game Two
- The second inning was again where R-MC struck first in the nightcap. With one out, Davidson and Sanderford both singled to get on base and were joined by Roth, who walked to earn a base. Stone brought all three home with a double to left center. Wood sent Stone home with an RBI double to left center. R-MC left the inning with a 4-0 lead.
- Randolph earned one back in the top of the third, but R-MC got that run back quickly – and then some. In the bottom of the third, Whittemore singled with one out and the immediately stole second. Now in scoring position, she came home when Davidson singled. Sanderford earned a base on a Randolph error and she and Davidson came home on a fielder's choice by Roth. Stone put herself on base with a bunt single and Wood brought all three R-MC runners home with a triple to left field.
- In the bottom of the fourth, R-MC added one as Davidson hit a sacrifice fly to score Abernethy, who was on base for LaPrade. LaPrade had doubled to lead off the inning. That run settled the final score at 10-1.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- Wood was 3-3 with four RBIs, leading the team for runs batted in for the second game. Stone was not far behind with three RBIs, while going 2-2 and scoring two runs.
- Roth, Davidson and Sanderford all also scored two runs. Davidson added two RBIs, going 2-2.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) earned the win in the circle, going five innings, striking out one and not allowing any walks.
Randolph-Macon's next scheduled contest is Friday at Ferrum at 1:00 PM. R-MC's makeup with Roanoke is still to be decided on a makeup date and time.