FERRUM, Va. – Senior pitcher Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va. / Patrick Henry) struck out 13 Ferrum batters, setting a new season-high as the Yellow Jackets earned a win against the Panthers Wednesday afternoon. R-MC also fell in the nightcap.
Game One: Randolph-Macon 4, Ferrum 1
Game Two: Ferrum 9, Randolph-Macon 1 (6 Innings)
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./AMB Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (21-12, 10-8 ODAC), Ferrum (18-18, 8-10 ODAC)
How It Happened – Game One
- Randolph-Macon was the first to cross the plate. Junior Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) singled with an out in the top of the first inning. Senior Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va. / Essex) singled as well, putting two Yellow Jacket runners on. Senior Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va. / New Kent) drove Stone in to give R-MC a 1-0 lead.
- R-MC added on in the top of the sixth. LaPrade started out with a double to left field. She was replaced on the basepaths by sophomore Kamryn Steinruck (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen). Steinruck took third on a wild pitch, but was called out at home on a fielder's choice by junior Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Margaret's). With Hill aboard, Whittemore sent a double to right center, scoring Hill. Whittemore was moved to third on a single by sophomore Ali Celiberti (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan). Junior Sam Scrifres (Midlothian, Va. / Clover Hill) took over running for Celiberti and promptly stole second. Neither could move after a R-MC groundout, but junior Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee) drove both of them in with a single to center.
- Ferrum got one in the bottom of the second, but it wasn't enough as R-MC closed out the 4-1 win.
Inside The Numbers – Game One
- Whittemore set a new season-high for strikeouts, sending 13 down on three strikes. She earned the win, her 13th of the season.
- LaPrade finished the day 3-4, tallying an RBI.
- Whittemore finished 2-3 with an RBI.
- Senior Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va. / Grafton) stole two bases, going 1-4 on the day.
- Wood finished 2-4.
- The game marked the seventh in a row where Randolph-Macon recorded double-digit hits.
How It Happened – Game Two
- Ferrum earned three runs in the bottom of the first and five in the bottom of the fourth, taking a 8-0 lead.
- Randolph-Macon scored a run in the top of the fifth. Sanderford tripled to right field. Junior Sami Davidson (Stafford, Va. / Brooke Point) singled to right field to bring Sanderford home.
- Ferrum ended the game with a two-out single in the bottom of the sixth, winning 9-1.
Inside The Numbers – Game Two
- LaPrade went 2-3 on the second game.
- Sanderford was 2-2 at the plate, scoring the lone R-MC run.
- Davidson had the R-MC RBI, also going 1-2 at the plate.
- Sophomore Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va. / Nansemond River) was hit with the loss, striking out one and allowing just two walks. Celiberti pitched 2.2 innings as well, not allowing a single walk.
Randolph-Macon will face Roanoke at home in a makeup from last Saturday. The doubleheader will begin on Saturday, April 20 at 1:00 PM at the R-MC Softball Field.