ASHLAND, Va. - Senior right-hander Candace Whittemore (Montpelier, Va./Patrick Henry) tossed a three-hit shutout in the opener and senior shortstop Savannah Wood (Tappahannock, Va./Essex) had three runs and three RBI in the nightcap as the Randolph-Macon softball team swept an ODAC doubleheader from Roanoke on Saturday afternoon.
Scores: Game 1: Randolph-Macon 3, Roanoke 0
Game 2: Randolph-Macon 10, Roanoke 2
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./R-MC Softball Field
Records: R-MC 23-12, 12-8 ODAC; RC 17-20, 6-12 ODAC
How It Happened
- Whittemore walked one and struck out seven in raising her record to 14-6. She did not allow a hit after the fourth inning. Whittemore retired 11 of the final 12 batters she faced, five by strikeout. The only baserunner among those final 12 hitters reached on an error.
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the first. Junior second baseman Maddie Stone (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) drew a one-out walk and moved to third on a base hit by Wood, who took second on the throw. Senior outfielder Brittany LaPrade (Quinton, Va./New Kent) singled to center, driving in Stone and Wood, to give R-MC a 2-0 edge.
- In the fourth, Whittemore had a leadoff single, was sacrificed to second by junior outfielder Shelby Hill (Mechanicsville, Va./St. Margaret's), went to third on a fielder's choice, and scored on a single by junior third baseman Taylor Sanderford (Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee) to give the Yellow Jackets a 3-0 advantage.
By The Numbers - Game 1
- Stone went 2 for 2 with a walk and a run.
- After the Maroons tallied two in the top of the first, the Yellow Jackets responded in the bottom of the frame. Senior outfielder Kerstin Roth (Yorktown, Va./Grafton) had a leadoff walk and stole second. Stone walked to give R-MC a pair of baserunners. Wood singled to right to drive in Roth and move Stone to third. A base hit by Whittemore brought home Stone, and a sacrifice fly by Sanderford knocked in Wood as R-MC took a 3-2 edge.
- Roth had a leadoff single to short in the second, stole second, moved to third on a popout by Stone and scored on a groundout by Wood as the lead grew to 4-2.
- In the fourth, Stone had a one-out single, stole second and came in on a double by Wood. LaPrade was hit by a pitch and was replaced at first by senior pinch-runner Casey Abernethy (Prince George, Va./Prince George).After a double steal. Wood scored on a base hit by Whittemore and Abernethy came in on a double by Sanderford. An error plated Sanderford to give the home team an 8-2 lead.
- R-MC ended the game in the fifth. Roth reached on a fielder's choice and scored on a wild pitch to make it 9-2. Wood also reached on a fielder's choice and scored the game-winner on an error to make the final 10-2.
By The Numbers - Game 2
- Sophomore right-hander Madie Rhoads (Portsmouth, Va./Nansemond River) earned the win in the nightcap, allowing three hits and two runs in five innings with five walks and one strikeout.
- Whittemore had two hits and two RBI.
- Sanderford also drove in two.
- Roth scored three and Stone scored twice.
- Randolph-Macon has concluded its regular season slate. The Yellow Jackets will compete in the ODAC Tournament next weekend in Salem, Va. The tourney bracket will be announced on Tuesday following the conclusion of the remaining conference contests.