ARLINGTON, Va. – In its season opener, the 25th ranked Yellow Jackets were edged out by a single point by the 16th ranked Marymount Saints on Monday evening.
Score: #16 Marymount 66, #25 Randolph-Macon 65
Location/Venue: Arlington, Va./Converse Family Fieldhouse
Records: Marymount (1-1), Randolph-Macon (0-1)
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets jumped out to the quick start as senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) contributed seven of a game-opening nine point run. Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) kicked in the other two as R-MC opened hot. Freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) made a three-pointer to break open the lead at 12-3. But Marymount closed the gap to just four as R-MC ended the period with a 19-11 lead.
- R-MC opened the second quarter similarly to the first. The Yellow Jackets got seven quick points and got the lead up to 13 before forcing a Marymount timeout. The Yellow Jackets came out of the timeout even more determined, forcing the lead to 18 as senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) made a three-pointer to go up 35-17 with 4:54 left in the second. But Marymount would give up just two more points the entire quarter and cut the lead to four heading into the halftime break.
- The Saints tied the game early in the third quarter, but Randolph-Macon went on the attack. A 39-39 tie gave way to eight straight points for the Yellow Jackets early in the period as R-MC forced a timeout after getting the lead to 47-39. R-MC continued the run with another four points, totaling a 12-0 run to push the lead to 51-39. R-MC left the quarter with a nine point difference at 56-47.
- Marymount started the fourth quarter on a tear and brought the R-MC advantage to just two, forcing a R-MC timeout at 7:35 remaining. The full-court press by the Saints caused problems for the Yellow Jackets as the two teams traded baskets until Marymount took the lead with 5:49 left in the period on a three-pointer. It was the Saints' first lead of the game. Another three-pointer and a layup by Marymount gave them a 65-61 advantage as the teams played under five minutes in the period. Lewis cut the lead to two with a pair of free throws at the 4:14 mark. For the next two minutes, neither team was able to score until Marymount tallied a free-throw at the two-minute mark. Junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) got a layup with 58 seconds remaining and a key block with 16 seconds left, but R-MC could not convert the opportunity as the game settled to a 66-65 final score.
Inside The Numbers
- Wisner led the Yellow Jackets with 17 points in the game -- which is her career high. She also made three assists and a pair of rebounds.
- Williams led the Yellow Jackets on the boards with 16. She was closely followed by Woods with 12.
- Lewis led R-MC with four assists.
- Williams and junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) made huge shots on the nights as well and were the second and third leading scorers for Randolph-Macon. Williams tallied 16 points while Ross added 14.
- Williams also led R-MC with five blocks. Woods added two and Ross added one.
- Marymount held the turnover advantage 28-19, with the Saints making 28 points off those turnovers.
- The Saints also held the offensive rebound advantage with 20 compared to R-MC's 16. They made 20 points compared to R-MC's 12 on second chance points.
- The Saints are ranked 16th in the d3hoops.com poll, while the Yellow Jackets are ranked 25th in the same poll. In the Women's Basketball Coaches Association poll, R-MC is receiving votes while Marymount is ranked 18th.
Randolph-Macon will play host to the Randolph-Macon Classic sponsored by Riesbeck Contracting over the weekend. R-MC will face Valley Forge on Friday at 6:00 PM in a rematch of last year's first round NCAA Tournament game in Ashland. On Saturday, R-MC will face Arcadia at 4:00 PM. The Emory & Henry Wasps will be the other tournament team and will play Arcadia at 8:00 PM Friday and Valley Forge at 2:00 PM on Saturday.