ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen), who had her second career double-double with a career-best 26 points and 10 rebounds, had a steal and layup to put the Yellow Jackets ahead to stay with 30 seconds left as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team nipped Lynchburg 58-55 in ODAC action Thursday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 58, Lynchburg 55
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 5-1, 3-0 ODAC; LYN 2-5, 1-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- Junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C./Halifax Academy) scored the first bucket of the game for the Yellow Jackets before the Hornets used an 8-1 spurt to take an 8-3 lead four minutes into the contest. A layup by Ross and a three-pointer by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) quickly tied the game at 8-8. R-MC trailed 10-8 before scoring 10 straight to take an 18-10 advantage with 1:45 left in the first period. LYN had the final two baskets of the quarter as the Yellow Jackets led 18-14 after one.
- The Hornets extended the streak to nine straight points, tallying the first five of the second period to take a 19-18 advantage. Wisner hit a jumper with 5:15 left in the quarter to give R-MC a 27-25 advantage the teams were tied at 31 before a layup by Ross with eight seconds remaining as the Yellow Jackets took a 33-31 lead at intermission. Williams had 12 points and 12 rebounds in the first half for R-MC, while Ross added 11 points.
- LYN would put up the first eight points of the second half to take a 39-33 lead with 7:25 left in the third period. The Yellow Jackets rallied and tallied six in a row to level the score at 39-39 midway through the quarter. R-MC trailed 44-43 before Ross made a layup with one minute remaining and buried her first three-pointer of the season at the buzzer as the Yellow Jackets led 48-44 heading to the final period.
- Ross hit a baseline jumper 20 seconds into the fourth quarter as the home team lead 50-44. The Hornets used a 9-2 spurt to reclaim the lead at 53-52 with 3:30 remaining. A layup by Ross followed by a LYN layup gave the visitors a 55-54 lead with 2:30 left. Following a miss by the Yellow Jackets, Ross had a steal and a layup to give R-MC a 56-55 edge. The Hornets missed a shot in the lane with three seconds left. Freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J./Rancocas Valley) sank two free throws with 0.1 left on the clock to make the final 58-55.
By The Numbers
- Williams registered her sixth double-double of the season in as many games. She scored 18 points and pulled down 17 rebounds.
- Wisner paced the Yellow Jackets with seven assists, while Lewis added five.
- Ross led the victors with three steals.
- R-MC held a 38-28 advantage in points in the paint.
Channel 8 in Richmond ran a story this week on head coach Carroll LaHaye. Here is a link to the story.
Randolph-Macon will play host to Hollins on Saturday, Dec. 1 in a 2 p.m. ODAC contest in Crenshaw Gym.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page Grille at 504 England Street in Ashland.