ASHLAND, Va. – Freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) scored 23 points and led all scorers while junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) scored her seventh double-double in as many games – a mark that is leading the nation. Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) was also in double figures as the Yellow Jackets secured a win against Hollins Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 90, Hollins 44
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-1, 4-0 ODAC), Hollins (2-5, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon never ceded a lead to Hollins. The Yellow Jacket defense did not allow a point to Hollins until the :21 mark in the first quarter. Williams led the Yellow Jackets in the period with eight points.
- Lewis hit a three-pointer at the 7:16 mark in the second quarter and made a fast break a few minutes later, marking a 5-0 run for herself, helping push the Yellow Jackets ahead by 23. Lewis had a huge quarter with 11 points, going 3-3 from beyond the arc.
- Williams and Lewis teamed up to start the second half on a 10-0 run. Williams converted a layup in the paint as well as a pair of free throws, while Lewis made another duo of three-pointers to push R-MC further ahead. In the waning minute of the third period, Freshman Janelle De Guzman (Raleigh, N.C. / St. Thomas More Academy) made a three and fellow freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) sunk a layup as time expired to put R-MC ahead 59-26.
- Hollins had its best quarter of the afternoon, scoring 18 points in the final period. But R-MC continued to stay the course, scoring 31 points in the final frame and securing the victory 90-44.
Inside The Numbers
- Lewis led all scorers in the game with 23 points. She also made three steals.
- Williams recorded her seventh double-double of the season, which is a nation-leading mark. Coming into the afternoon, she was tied with six other student-athletes across the country, each with six double-doubles this season. She recorded 18 points and ten rebounds to tally today's mark.
- Wade added 11 points along with also making critical contributions in other parts of the game. She made six assists and five steals.
- Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) was also a leading assister – making four on the game. Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) pulled in eight rebounds and four points.
- Randolph-Macon's bench loomed large for the Yellow Jackets against Hollins, scoring 34 points. Leading the way from the bench was Hatfield, who scored eight points. She also pulled in four rebounds and tallied two assists and three steals.
- Freshman Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) added seven points, four rebounds and three assists. De Guzman went 2-5 from beyond the arc, accounting for her six points and also dished out a pair of assists. Joining her in the assist column was fellow freshman Kylee Maiolo (Midlothian, Va. / Powhatan) who also added a pair of rebounds and four points.
- Freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) tallied four points as well as two rebounds. Sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) pulled in three rebounds in her 12 minutes of work. Freshman Jada Fox (Fredericksburg, Va. / Fredericksburg Academy) scored at a point-per-minute clip – scoring four points in her four minutes of work.
News and Notes
- The Randolph-Macon community honored Head Coach Carroll LaHaye in between the two games of the afternoon's doubleheader. Her 612th win on November 20 against the Bridgewater Eagles gave her more overall wins than any other Old Dominion Athletic Conference coach, regardless of gender.
- Williams was featured by WRIC 8-News in Richmond this week. Take a look at the story HERE.
Randolph-Macon will face Mary Washington in Fredericksburg on Tuesday at 6:00 PM. The Yellow Jackets will return home on Thursday at 7:00 PM against St. Mary's.
NOTE: The start time of the St. Mary's game was printed in recent game programs incorrectly. The correct start time in 7:00 PM.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page at 504 England Street in Ashland.