FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Juniors Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) and Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) each scored more than 20 points en route to a Yellow Jacket victory at Mary Washington Tuesday night. Williams recorded her eighth double-double in as many games this season. Ross has scored 20 points in three games in her career, with two coming in the most recent two games.
Score: Randolph-Macon 65, Mary Washington 60
Location/Venue: Ron Rosner Arena/Fredericksburg, Va.
Records: Randolph-Macon (7-1), Mary Washington (4-3)
How It Happened
- Mary Washington took the immediate advantage with a three-pointer that helped drive their first quarter edge. UMW had the lead until the 5:42 mark of the first quarter when senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) made a three-point jumper to tie the game at 7-7. The Yellow Jackets got another tie at 9-9 after a jumper from Ross moments later, but the Eagles left the quarter with a five-point advantage.
- The Eagles continued their roll into the second quarter. A pair of free throws gave UMW the seven-point lead until a pair of three's from Randolph-Macon. Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) hit the first one fifteen seconds into the period and Wisner hit her second three of the half to bring the game back within one. The Eagles rebuilt the lead to seven and maintained a five-point distance for much of the period. But the Yellow Jackets stormed back in the final moments. Wisner made a layup with 1:30 left and Williams made a free throw with under a minute left to cut the lead to just two. Ross finished off the quarter with a game-tying reverse layup heading into the break. The two teams settled at 31-31 at halftime.
- The stranglehold for the lead did not let up at halftime. Each team had their chances with the lead in the opening minutes of the second half. Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) tied the game with 5:50 left in the period, before Mary Washington began pushing for a sizable lead through the remainder of the quarter. Ross and Williams teamed up to go on a 5-0 run around the 2:47 mark, which gave R-MC its first lead of the second half at 42-41. The lead traded four more times for the rest of the third, with R-MC ending the period with a jumper by Ross to go up by three heading into the fourth.
- The Yellow Jackets protected the lead and extended it in the beginning of the final frame. Ross hit a pair of jumpers to put R-MC up 52-45 with 8:30 remaining. UMW came storming back over the next two minutes as the Eagles pulled the score back within two with a 6-2 run leading up the 6:40 mark. Williams worked in a layup to give the Yellow Jackets a four-point cushion, but it got erased as the Eagles tied the game with 3:20 to go at 56-56. Moments after the tie, Woods made a layup to put R-MC up by two – which is where the Yellow Jackets defense was able to keep them for about a minute and a half until Williams scored the hoop and the harm, helping extend the advantage for R-MC to 61-56. Wisner and Ross made free throws down the stretch to protect the lead and victory.
Inside The Numbers
- Williams recorded a nation-leading eighth double-double in as many games this season. She tallied 23 points and pulled in 15 rebounds. She also recorded six blocks, which gives her 26 on the season, an Old Dominion Athletic Conference leading mark. Her average of 3.3 blocks per game is also a league-leading number
- Ross scored her second big contest in as many games. After scoring a career high 26 points in last Thursday's contest against Lynchburg, Ross tallied 21 points tonight in what was the third game of her career where she's scored 20 or more points. Ross also pulled in six rebounds and made four steals.
- Wisner was one assist away from also tallying a double-double, dishing out nine to go with her ten points.
- Wade and Woods each finished with four points. Wade had five rebounds while Woods added two.
- Coming off the bench, freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) pulled down five boards and pulled in one steal as well.
- Sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) hit a three-pointer to go with her two rebounds.
- Both teams shot 39% from the floor, with UMW having a two-tenths of a percent better average than R-MC.
The Yellow Jackets will take on St. Mary's on Thursday at 7:00 PM in Ashland at Crenshaw Gym.
NOTE: Two of the Yellow Jackets' most recent programs listed the St. Mary's start time at 4:00 PM, however this is incorrect. The correct time is 7:00 PM.
The Sports Page Grill is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page at 504 England Street in Ashland.