ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C./Halifax Academy) recorded her first collegiate triple-double with 18 points, 19 rebounds and a career-best 11 blocks, while senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) registered her first collegiate double-double with 13 points and a career-high 11 assists, as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team won its eighth straight win, topping St. Mary's (Md.) 80-48 Thursday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 80, St. Mary's (Md.) 48
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: R-MC 8-1, SMC 1-6
How it Happened
- The Yellow Jackets scored their first buckets in the paint, as Williams had two baskets and junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) one to give R-MC a quick 6-0 lead with 7:35 left in the first quarter. The first eight field goals for the Yellow Jackets came in the paint as the home team built a 16-7 lead with two minutes remaining. A layup by Williams with eight seconds left gave R-MC a 24-7 advantage before a bucket by the Seahawks at the buzzer made it 24-9 after one. Williams had 12 points and five rebounds in the first quarter.
- The R-MC defense held SMC scoreless for the first 4:30 of the second period, building a 28-9 lead. Freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va./Wilson Memorial) hit a late three-pointer and sophomore Elise Knobloch (glenville, Pa./Delone Catholic) sank a free throw with 8.7 seconds left as the Yellow Jackets led 36-19 at intermission. Williams had 12 points, eight boards and five blocks in the first half, while Woods added 11 points and six rebounds.
- A long jumper by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) and a layup by Woods gave the Yellow Jackets a 40-21 lead with 7:55 left in the third period. Wisner hit a jumper and a pair of treys to cap a 14-4 run as R-MC went ahead 54-28 with two minutes remaining. The Yellow Jackets would end the period with a 56-32 advantage.
- Wisner hit a three-pointer to cap a 10-6 spurt as R-MC led 66-38 midway through the final period. Hatfield nailed a trey with 3:20 left to give the Yellow Jackets a 71-41 advantage. A layup by freshman Jada Fox (Fredericksburg, Va./Fredericksburg Academy) just before the final buzzer gave R-MC its largest lead at 80-48.
By the Numbers
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Along with Williams and Wisner, Woods had 16 and Hatfield finished with 10.
- The Yellow Jacket defense held SMC to 28% shooting from the floor (17-60). The Seahawks missed all three of their shots from beyond the arc.
- R-MC held a 46-38 advantage on the boards. Woods had nine caroms to go with Williams' 19.
- Williams' previous high for blocks was nine, done twice last year. Wisner's previous best for assists was seven, set earlier this year against Lynchburg.
- The last triple-double for R-MC was recorded by Hall-of-Famer Megan Silva, who had 22 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists in an 83-57 victory over Hood on March 3, 2006 in the NCAA Tournament.
- The last time R-MC won eight straight was a season ago, when the Yellow Jackets had eight consecutive victories from Nov. 18 through Dec. 30.
- The last time the Yellow Jackets held an opponent without a three-pointer was on Jan. 23, 2018, in a 68-62 home win over Shenandoah. The Hornets went 0 for 8 on treys.
- Randolph-Macon travels to Emory & Henry Saturday at 2:00 PM. Then, Randolph-Macon will break for final exams before playing in the Las Vegas Hoopla. The Yellow Jackets will face Wartburg on Tuesday, Dec. 18 at 3 p.m. ET and Salisbury on Wednesday, Dec. 19 at 5 p.m. ET.