EMORY, Va. – In a game that went back-and-forth for the entire duration of the game, Randolph-Macon women's basketball dug deep to pull out a three-point victory on the road Saturday afternoon. The Yellow Jackets used free throws down the stretch to preserve the victory and outscored the 18th-ranked Wasps in the critical fourth quarter.
Score: Randolph-Macon 65, #18 Emory & Henry 62
Location/Venue: Emory, Va./ John Rutledge King Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (9-1, 5-0 ODAC), #18 Emory & Henry (7-2, 3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps' defense was able to prevent a score by Randolph-Macon over the first three-and-a-half minutes of play before junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) hit a jumper that broke the run and put R-MC's first points on the board. E&H was able to keep the six-point lead though and turned it into an eight-point lead before R-MC cut the lead to four with 4:23 to go. From there, the teams traded baskets as the Wasps left the quarter ahead 16-12.
- The second quarter was where R-MC's defense went to work, shutting out the Wasps from a score for nearly five minutes of play. All the while, the Yellow Jackets added scores until they were able to get their first lead of the game at the 7:35 mark as Woods made a layup to put R-MC ahead 17-16. E&H tied it with a free throw at the 5:05 mark, but Randolph-Macon continued to push forward and was able to grab a lead again. The Wasps went on a six-point run leading up to the final minute, trading the advantage again, but when the quarter ended, both teams had settled at a 24-24 tie.
- Over the first five minutes of the third period, it was E&H that held the defensive edge again. For nearly five minutes, R-MC did not score in the face of Wasps pressure. Meantime, the Wasps added six points from the halftime break. Woods broke the streak yet again, scoring a layup and cutting the Wasp lead to four. The score was the start of a 7-1 run for the Yellow Jackets, cutting the E&H lead to just one leading up to the 2:30 point of the third. But through the final moments of the quarter, E&H got one of the biggest leads of the game to that point – six. R-MC quelled the run with a jumper by junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) and a three-pointer by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York), but E&H still took the advantage into the final quarter 41-38.
- R-MC did not stay down long. Woods made a layup moments into the fourth period and Ross hit a pair of free throws around the 8:00-to-go point to go ahead by one. The two teams that battled in the 2018 ODAC Championship earlier this year began to do it again. Trading baskets for the next three minutes, neither team got ahead by any more than three until sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) hit a three at the 5:17 mark and Ross got a jumper around 40 seconds later to push Randolph-Macon ahead 54-49. E&H immediately scored to cut the lead back to three, but Ross did the same to keep the R-MC lead at five. Ross made the score difference five points for a third time in a row after a pair of E&H free throws. Williams made a free throw at the 2:49 mark, but E&H's Kara Stafford hit an important three-pointer moments later, bringing the Yellow Jacket lead to 59-56. Junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C. / Halifax Academy) gave R-MC a five-point lead with 30 seconds to go, but a hoop and harm at the other end cut the Yellow Jacket lead back to two at 61-59 with 19 second to go. E&H offered an immediate foul on Knobloch and she converted her two free throws keeping the lead at five at 63-59. But ever the chess match, E&H got a three-pointer from Chloe Harris to cut the R-MC lead to one. Another immediate foul by the Wasps gained Woods two free throw chances, which she converted both to secure the victory 65-62.
Inside The Numbers
- Williams tallied another double-double, bringing her total to ten this season. That mark is the top in the country. She finished with 18 points and 19 rebounds.
- From off the bench, Ross finished with 15 points and also brought in eight rebounds.
- Woods was just one rebound away from a double-double, finishing with 12 points and nine rebounds. She also made four steals.
- Knobloch was also in double figures for points. She tallied ten rebounds and also dished out two assists.
- Wisner led the Yellow Jackets in the assists column. She had three total while also putting in five points and two rebounds.
- Fellow senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) finished with three points and four rebounds while tossing in an assists as well. She also pulled out four steals.
- Freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) added two points and a rebound while freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) added two steals.
- Randolph-Macon broke Emory & Henry's 13-game home winning streak, dating back to January of 2017.
Randolph-Macon will travel west in two weeks to participate in the Las Vegas Hoopla. The Yellow Jackets will face #17 Wartburg, their second ranked opponent in a row. That game will tip-off at 3:00 PM ET on Tuesday, December 18. Then on Wednesday, December 19, R-MC will face Salisbury at 5:00 PM ET. Live video is expected for the event, however there is a cost associated with viewing. You can find more information HERE.