LAS VEGAS – The 23rd ranked Wartburg Knights defeated the 20th ranked Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets in midday action in the Las Vegas Hoopla.
Score: #23 Wartburg 77, #20 Randolph-Macon 58
Location/Venue: Las Vegas, Nevada/Centennial Hills Community Center
Record: #23 Wartburg (7-2), #20 Randolph-Macon (9-2)
How It Happened
- R-MC kicked off the game with 16 points in the first quarter, outscoring the Knights by two in the period.
- The Yellow Jackets held a one-point lead at halftime 31-30 after the Knights were able to outscore the Yellow Jackets in the second quarter, 16-15.
- The Knights began to take over the game in the third frame. Wartburg was able to outscore the Yellow Jackets 25-19 in the quarter.
- The Knights held control over the fourth quarter as they outscored Randolph-Macon 22-8 to settle the final score at 77-58.
Inside The Numbers
- Freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) led the Yellow Jackets with 15 points. She also made a steal and a pair of rebounds.
- Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) also tallied a large portion of the Yellow Jackets' points on the afternoon, scoring 10 points and pulling in eight rebounds. Fellow junior Kelly Williams (Garysburg, N.C./Halifax Academy) scored six points and pulled in five rebounds. Williams' five rebounds gives her 1,060 for her career, which ties the R-MC and ODAC record for most in a career.
- Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) and junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) each finished with eight points. Wisner also dished our four assists and pulled in two rebounds.
- Williams and freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) each made two steals. Williams also tallied a pair of blocks.
- R-MC held the edge in turnovers, finished with 14 compared to Wartburg's 20.
New Polls Released
Randolph-Macon moved up in both Division III Top 25 polls, released this morning. In the Women's Basketball Coaches Association, R-MC moved up to No. 20, up three spots from the No. 23 spot in last week's poll. In the D3hoops.com Division III Top 25 poll, Randolph-Macon was up a single spot from No. 23 to No. 22.
Check Out The Blog
Randolph-Macon will face Salisbury tomorrow at 5:00 PM ET/2:00 PT in the Las Vegas Hoopla. Video will be available, however an $8.95 fee will apply.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page Grille at 504 England Street in Ashland.