LAS VEGAS – Three Yellow Jackets were in double figures and junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) tallied a double-double as #20 Randolph-Macon defeated Salisbury in the Las Vegas Hoopla on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: #20 Randolph-Macon 53, Salisbury 42
Location/Venue: Las Vegas, Nev./Centennial Hills Community Center
Records: Randolph-Macon (10-2), Salisbury (8-3)
How It Happened
- In a fairly low-scoring contest, Randolph-Macon got ahead early in the first half, but Salisbury returned to tie the contest at 6-6 with 3:48 to go in the period. R-MC immediately answered with a three-pointer from senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York), but the teams traded baskets for much of the remainder of the period, with the Sea Gulls taking a four point advantage into the second quarter.
- The defenses remained staunch for the first two-and-a-half minutes of the second quarter. Neither team scored until the 7:27 mark in the period when Salisbury hit a pair of free throws to go ahead 19-13. Those points stood as the only for nearly the next two minutes until sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) made a free throw at the 5:44 mark. Moments later, junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) scored the hoop-and-harm to bring the score back within four points at the 21-17 lead for SU. Woods was responsible for the remaining points in the period, as she scored a layup and three free throws over the final 4:06 as SU remained in the lead at halftime 27-22.
- R-MC started the second half on a tear. Woods, freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) and Wisner each scored layups to cut the Sea Gull lead to one. After another score by SU, DeBell and Wisner scored once more as R-MC took its first lead since the first quarter. After the teams traded buckets to a 38-38 tie, R-MC used a free throw from senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) and a bucket from freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) to take the advantage into the final frame.
- R-MC started the fourth quarter on a 10-0 run, pushing its lead to 51-38. DeBell and Lewis each tallied a pair of free throws, with Lewis then making a pair of layups and Woods adding one more bucket over the first four-and-a-half minutes of play. Wisner tallied R-MC's last bucket of the game at the 3:04 mark to go ahead 53-40. From there, it was the R-MC defense which took over and allowed just one more Sea Gull score before finishing the game at 53-42.
Inside The Numbers
- DeBell finished with 16 points and also pulled in nine rebounds. She also scored one block.
- Woods had a double-double, her second/third of the season, tallying 11 points and 15 rebounds. She also had a block and a steal.
- Wisner finished with ten points and had four steals, four rebounds and two assists on the afternoon. Wade also had four steals and three rebounds to go with her one point.
- Lewis finished with nine points and two steals as well as an assist.
- Off the bench, Ross finished with five points and nine rebounds as well as a pair of steals. Arrington also finished with a point.
- Sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) tallied five rebounds in the contest while freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) finished with three boards and fellow freshman Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) had one rebound.
- Randolph-Macon outrebounded Salisbury by a 52-47 total.
- R-MC went 14-19 from the free throw line, totaling a 73.7% clip. DeBell was 100% on the day, going 4-4.
- Keep watching rmcathletics.com for more from Kelsey Wisner as she blogs from Las Vegas. Check out her blog from Day 1 (Monday).
#20 Randolph-Macon returns to action on Wednesday, January 2, 2019 against Washington and Lee in Lexington at 3:00 PM. The Yellow Jackets return to Crenshaw against Ferrum at 2:00 PM on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit The Sports Page Grille at 504 England Street in Ashland.