ASHLAND, Va. – Four Yellow Jackets scored ten points or more and Randolph-Macon Women's Basketball's bench came alive, scoring 36 points in a Saturday afternoon victory against Ferrum.
Score: Randolph-Macon 73, Ferrum 41
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon (11-3, 6-1 ODAC), Ferrum (3-11, 1-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After Ferrum pulled the score within one point early in the first quarter, Randolph-Macon did not wait long to push ahead. Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) hit a jumper at 7:09 to go, which started a 5-0 run over the next two minutes. The Yellow Jackets finished off the period well, taking an 18-9 lead into the second quarter.
- R-MC's defense took over in the second quarter. The Yellow Jackets allowed just four points throughout the quarter, meanwhile scoring 12 points which allowed Randolph-Macon to take a 17 point advantage into the second half. Sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) led the Yellow Jackets in the period with five points while sophomore Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) added four.
- Over the first five minutes of the period, Randolph-Macon added ten points to its lead while allowing just four points to the Panthers. Freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) threw in a pair of layups during the run to help push R-MC out in front.
- As the fourth quarter progressed, much of the bench got involved. Freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) tallied five points in the final period while fellow freshman Janelle De Guzman (Raleigh, N.C. / St. Thomas More Academy) pushed for three points, which accounted for all of her game collection. DeBell and freshman Jada Fox (Fredericksburg, Va. / Fredericksburg Academy) each added two rebounds to the frame as R-MC wrapped up the 73-41 win.
Inside The Numbers
- Woods led the team with 14 points. She also had nine rebounds, three blocks, three steals and three assists.
- Lewis was also in double-digits with 12 points, including hitting two from beyond the arc. She added a pair of assists.
- Junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) and sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) each had ten points and four rebounds. Ross added a block, a steal and an assist.
- DeBell finished with nine points and five steals while adding a block.
- Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) also caused plenty of turnovers on Ferrum's side today. She made four steals and added two points and three rebounds.
- Wisner dished out four assists to go with her five points.
- Arrington finished with seven points and a lone assist.
- Freshmen Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky. / Paul Laurence Dunbar) and Kylee Maiolo (Midlothian, Va. / Powhatan) each had a pair of points and a single rebounds. Humphreys added a steal, assist and block as well.
- Freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) tallied five rebounds in her 14 minutes of work.
Randolph-Macon will face Eastern Mennonite at 7:00 PM on Tuesday at home.