VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Randolph-Macon tied the game in the waning seconds of the fourth quarter, but could not repeat the endeavor in overtime as the Women's Basketball Yellow Jackets fell 79-77 in overtime in a Tuesday evening conference matchup.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 79, Randolph-Macon 77
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Batten Center
Records: Virginia Wesleyan (11-7, 8-3 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (12-5, 7-3 ODAC).
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon hit a good start. Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) made a three-pointer to open scoring in the contest early in the first quarter. Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) hit a bucket and freshman Lauren Lewis (Mount Laurel, N.J. / Rancocas Valley Regional) added a shot from beyond-the-arc to push R-MC ahead 8-2 as the team approached the midway point of the first frame. Wisner extended the lead later in the half as R-MC grew its advantage to ten, going ahead 16-6. Virginia Wesleyan would cut the lead to just four as the period concluded though.
- R-MC kept the Marlins at arm's length through much of the beginning of the second period. But after junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made a jumper with 6:51 to go, Virginia Wesleyan's Amanda Gerni made two three's in a row to bring the Marlins within one midway through the period. Wisner responded with a long shot of her own that hit the net for three points, but Gerni repeated herself moments after, keeping the Yellow Jacket advantage at just a point. A pair of Marlin free throws at 4:25 to go in the second gave VWU its first lead of the contest. Gerni continued to be a thorn in R-MC's side, making a shot that gave VWU a three-point advantage. Junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) brought R-MC within one with 2:43 left and after the Marlins added to their lead, Wisner hit another three with 90 seconds to go, giving VWU the two-point advantage 33-31. Sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) got the tying score with a minute to go and Wade tacked on a free throw in the final seconds to give R-MC the halftime break advantage.
- After Virginia Wesleyan opened the period with a free throw, Randolph-Macon went on a 11-2 run over the next seven minutes, giving the Yellow Jackets a comfortable lead at 45-38 approaching the final moments of the period. R-MC took a five point lead into the fourth quarter.
- The two teams went scoreless for about two minutes of play until Ross netted a free throw at the 7:49 mark. VWU went on a 7-2 run over the next two minutes, taking the score to a 52-51 R-MC lead with 5:45 to go. After R-MC added to its lead, Gerni again hit from deep twice, tying the game at 57 with 2:56 remaining. Wisner immediately answered to give R-MC the lead back. Gerni hit a layup to displace the lead from the Yellow Jackets with 1:43 to go. The teams traded buckets leading up to the 22 seconds remaining mark where Ross was forced to foul. VWU's Jayla Harris missed one of two and Ross hit a jumper on the other to tie with 14 second to go, sending the game to an extra period.
- After the Marlins got a two-possession lead halfway through the period, Wisner made a three-pointer with 52 seconds left to cut the VWU lead to 75-74. The Marlins added a bucket, but Wade immediately put down a three with 25 seconds to go. But a foul on the other end with two seconds left gave VWU the chance at the charity stripe. Harris converted the chances and settled the final score at 79-77.
Inside The Numbers
- Wisner led the Yellow Jackets with 20 points, including six buckets from beyond the arc, a new career-high for total number of three-pointers made in a game. All but one of her field goals came from three-point territory. She added three rebounds and six assists.
- Freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va. / Saint Gertrude) tallied her first career double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds. She also made three blocks.
- Ross totaled 16 points, including going 6-8 from the free throw line. She pulled down five rebounds and made a pair of blocks as well.
- Wade finished with 14 points, including going 70% from the free-throw line. She pulled in three rebounds and dished out three assists also.
- Woods totaled four points and 12 rebounds as well as three steals.
- VWU's Harris led all scorers with 24 points while Gerni had 23, including 6-10 from beyond the arc.
- R-MC held the advantage on the boards 48-44.
- Both teams shot nearly identical percentages from the floor – though R-MC edged the opposition out by half a percent – 38.5% vs. 38% for VWU.
Randolph-Macon will face Emory & Henry on Saturday at 2:00 PM in Crenshaw Gym as the Yellow Jackets celebrate Back To The Hive.
The Sports Page Grille is Randolph-Macon Basketball's Official Viewing Headquarters. Visit the Sports Page at 504 England St. in Ashland.