ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Michael Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) led all scorers with 22 points and added eight rebounds and six steals as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team dropped a 66-59 ODAC contest to Emory & Henry Saturday afternoon in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Emory & Henry 66, Randolph-Macon 59
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 12-6, 7-4 ODAC; E&H 13-3, 7-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Wasps scored the first five points of the game before a layup by freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./St. Gertrude) pulled the Yellow Jackets within one at 7-6 with 7:15 left in the first quarter. Ross converted a three-point play with 3:45 remaining to give R-MC its first lead at 14-13. E&H would take a 20-18 lead after one period.
- E&H tallied eight of the first 10 points in the second quarter as the visitors built a 28-20 lead with 7:45 remaining. The Yellow Jackets trailed 37-27 before Ross had back-to-back buckets to make it 37-31 with 2:15 left. The Wasps put up the next five points before Ross hit a jumper with one second remaining as R-MC trailed 42-33 at halftime. Ross led all players with 16 first-half points.
- The Wasps started quickly in the third period, tallying nine of the first 11 points in building a 51-35 advantage with 7:05 remaining. A jumper by Ross capped a 6-0 run as the Yellow Jackets narrowed the deficit to 10 at 51-41 with 5:55 left. E&H was up 56-42 before an 8-1 run by R-MC made it 57-50 heading into the fourth period.
- Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) hit a jumper to cap a 5-0 spurt as the Yellow Jackets pulled within two at 57-55 with 8:00 remaining in the final quarter. E&H went more than 10 minutes without a field goal, finally hitting a bucket with 5:15 remaining to take a 60-55 lead. The Wasps ended the game on a 9-4 run, claiming the 66-59 victory.
By The Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets had two players score in double figures. Along with 22 by Ross, Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) added 11.
- Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) led all players with 15 rebounds and three blocks. She also had four steals.
- Wisner had six assists and snared three steals.
- The R-MC defense forced 29 E&H turnovers.
Randolph-Macon remains at home to host Bridgewater on Tuesday, January 22 at 7 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.