ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) poured in 20 points, while junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) and freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./Saint Gertrude) both recorded double-doubles, as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team fell 79-73 to Bridgewater Wednesday evening in ODAC action in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Bridgewater 79, Randolph-Macon 73
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 12-7, 7-5 ODAC; BC 10-8, 5-7 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Eagles jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead before a layup by freshman Peyton Humphreys (Lexington, Ky./Paul Laurence Dunbar) and a free throw by Ross cut the deficit to one at 6-5 with 5:25 remaining in the first period. BC led 8-7 before putting together a 10-3 spurt to go ahead 18-10 with 1:45 left. Woods had the final two buckets in the quarter for the Yellow Jackets as R-MC trailed 20-14 after one period. Woods had eight points and four rebounds in the first quarter.
- BC used a 13-6 run to start the second period to take a 33-20 lead with 3:25 remaining. DeBell had all six points for the Yellow Jackets. The Eagles led by 12 before a pair of free throws by Ross made it 36-26 at intermission. Woods had 10 points and five rebounds in the first half for R-MC.
- Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) hit a jumper to start the third period as the Yellow Jackets closed to within eight at 36-28 with 9:00 remaining. BC led 49-35 before a three-pointer by sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va./Amelia Academy) followed by a bucket and two free throws by Ross made up a 7-2 spurt as the Yellow Jackets trailed 51-42 with 3:15 left. The Eagles extended the lead to 15 before holding a 61-46 advantage after three quarters.
- Ross had four points as R-MC started the fourth period on an 8-2 run and narrowed the gap to 63-54 with 7:20 remaining. BC was up a dozen before a pair of free throws by Ross and a layup by DeBell made it an eight-point game at 68-60 with 3:55 left. Another layup by DeBell and a follow by Woods made it a four-point deficit at 75-71 with 20.9 seconds remaining. BC hit four straight free throws before a follow by DeBell made the final 79-73.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had four players score in double figures. Along with 20 by Ross, Woods had a season-high 17, DeBell matched her season best with 16 and Wade put in 10.
- Ross had career highs with 14 made free throws and 16 free throw attempts.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 46-35 advantage on the boards. DeBell had a season-high 14 rebounds, while Woods grabbed 11.
- R-MC had 20 offensive rebounds and held a 25-4 advantage on second-chance points.
- Senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) paced R-MC with four assists and also had a pair of steals.
- DeBell recorded her first collegiate double-double, while Woods had her fourth double-double of the season.
- It was the first time R-MC had two players with double-doubles since Dec. 6, 2018, when Kelly Williams had 18 points and 19 rebounds, and Wisner added 13 points and 11 assists in an 80-48 win over St. Mary's (Md.).
- Woods had double-figure rebounds for the third straight game and for the 10th time this season. DeBell hit double figures on the boards for the second time this season. The last time the Yellow Jackets had two players with 10 or more rebounds was on Nov. 29, 2018, when Williams had 17 boards and Ross grabbed 10 in a 58-55 win over Lynchburg.
- R-MC was not whistled for its first foul until 1:08 remaining in the second quarter.
- Randolph-Macon hits the road and will play at Randolph on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 2 p.m.