LYNCHBURG, Va. - Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) and freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./St. Gertrude) both recorded double-doubles, and junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) led all scorers with 19 points as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team defeated Randolph 82-51 Saturday afternoon at the RAD Center.
Score: Randolph-Macon 82, Randolph 53
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./RAD Center
Records: R-MC 13-7, 8-5 ODAC; RC 4-14, 2-9 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Wildcats held an early 3-2 lead before five points by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) highlighted an 11-0 run as the Yellow Jackets went up 13-3 with 3:14 left in the first period. After a pair of free throws by Randolph, Woods had four points in an 8-0 spurt as the visitors led 21-5 after one quarter.
- A trey by sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa./Delone Catholic) sparked a 6-0 run at the start of the second period as the Yellow Jackets raised the advantage to 27-5 with 8:50 remaining. A layup by DeBell pushed the lead to 37-9 with 5:20 left. The lead was as large as 28 before R-MC took a 44-20 advantage at halftime.
- A pair of free throws by Wisner gave the Yellow Jackets a 50-27 lead three minutes into the third quarter. The lead shrunk to 19, but Ross and Woods hit free throws late to give R-MC an edge of 61-36 heading into the final period.
- The Wildcats again trimmed the deficit to 19 before a pair of layups by senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) sparked a 9-0 run as the Yellow Jackets led 74-46 with 5:20 remaining in the fourth quarter. Freshman Jada Fox (Fredericksburg, Va./Fredericksburg Academy) had a layup with 1:30 left to give the Yellow Jackets an 82-51 lead before posting the 82-53 victory.
By The Numbers
- Woods put up 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds on her birthday, her fifth double-double of the season. DeBell had 11 points and pulled down 10 boards, her third double-double of the season. DeBell went 5 for 6 from the floor, while Ross went 8 for 11 on field goals.
- Wisner paced R-MC with five assists, while freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va./Wilson Memorial) dished out four assists, one away from her season high.
- DeBell led the Yellow Jacket defense with four steals.
- R-MC is 53-5 all-time against Randolph.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Ferrum on Saturday, February 2 for a 12 noon ODAC contest.