FERRUM, Va. – Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) tallied a double-double and senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va. / Heritage) had 18 points in a ten-point victory at Ferrum Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 77, Ferrum 67
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./Swartz Gymnasium
Records: Randolph-Macon (14-7, 9-5 ODAC), Ferrum (3-18, 1-13 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Ferrum took nine of the first 11 points in the contest before Randolph-Macon went on an 11-0 run to take a 15-11 lead with around 3:11 to go in the first frame. As the first quarter ended, Randolph-Macon was ahead 18-16.
- The second period was a high-scoring affair for both teams. A three-pointer by Ferrum with 5:57 remaining put them in the lead before a layup by Wade 20 seconds later tied the game at 25-25. The teams traded baskets from there, with Randolph-Macon getting a slight edge with 4:15 to go as senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa. / Central York) got the hoop and harm. R-MC extended its lead as Woods hit a jumper and Wade got a three-pointer and a layup before Ferrum could score another point. The Yellow Jacket advantage was four at halftime.
- Ferrum opened the second half by cutting the R-MC advantage to just one before freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va. / Wilson Memorial) scored to push R-MC back up by three 43-40. The Yellow Jackets got out in front by five halfway through the frame, but a pair of Panther threes gave them the lead back at 48-47 with just under four to play. Ferrum took a 59-53 advantage into the fourth quarter.
- Work at the free-throw line helped R-MC battle back. Hatfield made a pair early before defenses took over for around three minutes of play, locking the score at Ferrum's lead, 59-53. Sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa. / Delone Catholic) hit a free throw with 7:24 to go to cut the Panther lead to three. After Ferrum added another bucket, R-MC tied the game with a layup from Woods and a three-pointer from sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va. / Amelia Academy) with 5:30 to go, knotting the score at 61-61. Another three-pointer, this time from Knobloch gave R-MC the lead back, 64-61 -- the first R-MC lead since the early parts of the third quarter. The buckets were part of what would eventually be a 17-0 run over three minutes of play, which helped put R-MC ahead for good as the Yellow Jackets locked down the 77-67 win.
Inside The Numbers
- Woods tallied her sixth double-double of the year with 21 points and 13 rebounds.
- Wade finished with 18 points and also made three steals.
- Along with Wade's three thefts, Knobloch, Hatfield and Wisner each made three steals. Knobloch and Hatfield also each had eight points.
- Woods and Wade each made a lone block.
- Hatfield led the team with four assists.
- Arrington made seven rebounds, which was second only to Woods. She finished with nine points, all from beyond the arc.
- R-MC held the advantage in turnovers, giving up the ball just 15 times, while Ferrum made 25 turnovers.
The Yellow Jackets return home against Shenandoah on Tuesday at 7:00 PM.