ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va./Amelia Academy) tallied a season-high 16 points, and junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 13 points and 14 rebounds, as the Randolph-Macon women's basketball team rallied to down Virginia Wesleyan 68-62 in ODAC action Tuesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 68, Virginia Wesleyan 62
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 17-7, 12-5 ODAC; VWU 13-11, 10-7 ODAC
How It Happened
- Senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) christened the game with a three-pointer on the first possession of the game for the Yellow Jackets. After the Marlins tied it at 3-3, the teams stayed within two points of each other for the first four minutes of the period. VWU used a 9-0 spurt to take an 18-9 lead with 2:50 left in the first quarter. A jumper by junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) halted the run. Each team sank a pair of free throws in the final 40 seconds as the Marlins led 20-13. VWU shot 70% from the floor (7-10). Freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./Saint Gertrude) had four points in the first period for R-MC.
- The Marlins scored the first five points of the second quarter before a steal and layup by Woods made it 25-15 two minutes into the period. After a bucket by VWU, a three-point play by Ross made it a nine-point game at 27-18 with 7:30 left. A pair of free throws by Arrington and a three-pointer by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) cut the deficit to six at 31-25 with 3:10 remaining. Arrington hit two more free throws and a trey to pull R-MC within one at 33-32 with 22 seconds left. The Marlins would hit the final bucket of the half and take a 35-32 lead to the locker room at halftime. Arrington had nine points, hitting a three-pointer and going 6 for 6 from the free throw line. Woods had six points and six rebounds for the Yellow Jackets. The R-MC defense forced 17 turnovers in the first half.
- VWU started the third quarter on a 6-2 spurt before three-point plays by sophomore Elise Knobloch (Glenville, Pa./Delone Catholic) and Wade made up a 6-2 run for the home team as R-MC pulled within three at 43-40 with 6:20 left in the period. The Marlins led 48-42 before a three-pointer by Arrington gave R-MC its first lead since early in the first quarter at 49-48 with 4:14 left. A layup by Ross capped the 13-0 spurt at the Yellow Jackets went up 55-48 with 2:05 remaining. A layup by DeBell gave R-MC a 59-51 advantage with 17 seconds left before a late Marlin trey made it 59-54 heading to the final period.
- VWU scored the first five points of the fourth quarter to knot the score at 59-59 before a jumper in the lane by Ross gave R-MC a 61-59 edge with 3:10 remaining. After the Marlins quickly tied it, a follow by Woods put the Yellow Jackets ahead to stay at 63-61 with 2:22 left. A foul shot by Knobloch, two free throws from Ross and a layup by Woods gave R-MC a 68-61 lead with 15 seconds remaining. A late free throw by VWU made the final 68-62.
By The Numbers
- Arrington went 3 for 4 on treys and 7 for 8 from the free throw line for her 16 points. She matched her career high with 3 three-pointers, and recorded career bests for free throws made and attempted. She had two points in the first quarter, and seven in both the second and third periods. Arrington also had a career-high 7 rebounds.
- Woods had 10 offensive rebounds. She registered a career-high 8 steals.
- Ross also scored in double figures, putting up 11.
- R-MC held a 42-35 advantage on the boards. The Yellow Jackets corralled 22 offensive rebounds. R-MC had 14 second-chance points, compared to 6 by the Marlins.
- The R-MC defense forced 26 VWU turnovers and recorded 17 steals. The Yellow Jackets entered the game on top in the ODAC in steals per game at 12.0. R-MC had a 27-8 advantage in points off turnovers.
- The Yellow Jackets had 32 bench points, while the Marlins had 13.
- R-MC held VWU to 8 points in the final quarter.
- R-MC has won five straight games and is in sole possession of third place in the ODAC standings at 12-5.
- The Yellow Jackets hit their first 13 free throws before finishing 19-25 from the foul line (76%).
- The teams split their two meetings this season. The Marlins pulled out a 79-77 overtime win on January 15 in Virginia Beach.
- Randolph-Macon will conclude the regular season at home on Saturday, February 16 for a 2 p.m. Senior Day ODAC contest against first-place Guilford in Crenshaw Gym.