SALEM, Va. - Junior Charlotte Woods (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had 10 points and 15 rebounds, while freshman Aimee DeBell (Studley, Va./Saint Gertrude) put up 15 points and grabbed a career-high 12 boards, as No. 4 Randolph-Macon women's basketball team outlasted fifth-seeded Virginia Wesleyan 72-66 in overtime on Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals of the ODAC Tournament to advance to Saturday's semifinals.
Score: #4 Randolph-Macon 72, #5 Virginia Wesleyan 66 OT
Location/Venue: Salem, Va./Salem Civic Center
Records: R-MC 18-8, VWU 14-12
How It Happened
- DeBell and senior Jayla Wade (Newport News, Va./Heritage) had early buckets as the Yellow Jackets took a 4-0 lead. A layup by junior Michal Ross (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) put R-MC ahead 10-4 with 3:40 remaining in the first period. After the Marlins scored four straight points, consecutive baskets by Ross gave the Yellow Jackets a 14-8 advantage after one.
- A follow by DeBell and a baseline jumper by senior Kelsey Wisner (York, Pa./Central York) gave R-MC a 10-point lead at 18-8. The Marlins closed within six at 24-18 before Wade and freshman Cheridan Hatfield (Fishersville, Va./Wilson Memorial) each sank a pair of free throws to push the advantage back to 10 at 28-18 with 45 seconds left. VWU had the final bucket of the period as R-MC led 28-20 at intermission. Ross topped all players with 10 points, while DeBell had six points and six boards. The R-MC defense forced 12 turnovers and held the Marlins to 27% shooting (8-30), including 1 for 8 from beyond the arc.
- VWU cut the deficit to five before layups by DeBell, Wisner and Wood extended the R-MC lead to 11 at 38-27 with 4:25 left in the third period. The Marlins closed the quarter on a 13-4 run to trail 42-40 heading to the final period.
- The Marlins started the fourth with a 5-1 spurt to take their first lead of the game before a layup by Woods leveled the score at 45-45 with 7:55 remaining. VWU would build a 54-47 advantage with 3:15 left before R-MC closed on a 9-2 run to force overtime. The Yellow Jackets scored all nine points from the free throw line, Wade made four, DeBell had three, and Woods hit a pair with 1:08 remaining to even it at 56-56.
- Wade hit three early free throws in overtime to give R-MC a 59-56 lead. VWU reclaimed the advantage at 61-59 before a three-pointer by sophomore Becca Arrington (Amelia, Va./Amelia Academy) put the Yellow Jackets on top 62-61 with 2:30 left. A layup by the Marlins made a bucket to go up 63-62 before another Arrington trey gave R-MC a 65-63 edge with 1:55 remaining. A three-pointer gave VWU a 66-65 lead before two free throws by DeBell with 1:08 left put the Yellow Jackets back up by one. A jumper by Ross with 25 seconds left and a free throw by Wade with 13 seconds remaining put R-MC on top 70-66. A pair of foul shots by Wisner made the final 72-66.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Along with 15 by DeBell and 10 by Woods, Wade had 16 and Ross added 12.
- The Yellow Jackets went 27-41 from the free throw line. Wade had career highs with 14 made free throws and 18 free throw attempts.
- Woods and DeBell each had two blocks.
- Wisner paced the victors with five assists.
- R-MC forced 21 turnovers. Wade topped the Yellow Jackets with four steals.
- Woods recorded her eighth double-double of the season, while DeBell delivered her fourth.
- DeBell had season-highs with 5 free throws made and 8 free throw attempts.
- Randolph-Macon will face No. 8 Shenandoah in the ODAC semifinals on Saturday at 6 p.m. The Yellow Jackets took two from the Hornets during the regular season, winning 58-45 in Winchester on Nov. 28 and posting a 71-59 victory in Ashland on Feb. 5.