FROSTBURG, Md. - Senior midfielder Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) tallied four goals, while sisters Hannah and Lexi had two each, as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team kicked off its 2019 season with a 17-7 victory at Frostburg State on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 17, Frostburg State 2
Location/Venue: Frostburg, Md./Bobcat Stadium
Records: R-MC 1-0, FSU 0-1
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets dominated the first half, holding a 24-7 advantage in shots in building a 12-0 lead. Rachel Jones scored on a free position shot 34 seconds into the game to give R-MC a lead it would not relinquish. Senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) sandwiched a pair of goals around a score by sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) as the lead grew to 4-0 with 21:47 remaining in the half. Midfielder Hannah Jones tallied her first goal and Rachel Jones added a pair to make it 7-0 midway through the period. Mattone had a player-up goal and sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) had her first goal to make it 9-0 with seven minutes left. Hannah Jones scored on a free position shot, Samper assisted on a goal by Lexi Jones, and sophomore midfielder Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) finished the scoring as the Yellow Jackets led 12-0 at halftime. R-MC had a 13-0 advantage in draw controls.
- Attack Lexi Jones had the first goal of the second half to make it 13-0 before the Bobcats tallied their two goals. Lexi Jones assisted sister Rachel on the next goal to make it 14-2 with 21:44 left. In the final five minutes, Webster and Samper tallied their second goals before junior attack Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va./Patriot) recorded the final goal to make the final score 17-2.
By The Numbers
- Rachel Jones had her four goals on four shots on goal. She led the Yellow jackets with six total shots.
- R-MC held a 15-5 advantage in draw controls. Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) paced the victors with five, while Rachel Jones had four and Hannah Jones had three.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 19-15 edge in ground balls. Freshman goalkeeper Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md./Havre de Grace) had five in her first collegiate contest.
- The R-MC defense forced 15 FSU turnovers. Senior defender Olivia Mott (Dayton, Md./River Hill) topped the Yellow Jackets with two forced turnovers.
- Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had a scoreless first 30 minutes and recorded four saves. Cypher had five saves in the second half.
- Rachel, Hannah and Lexi Jones are three-quarters of a set of quadruplets at Randolph-Macon. The fourth member of the quadruplets, brother Jake, is a member of the Yellow Jacket men's lacrosse team.
- The Yellow Jackets have won three straight openers, and all have come against Frostburg State. R-MC won 21-14 a year ago in Ashland. The Yellow Jackets posted a 20-11 victory at FSU in 2017.
- Randolph-Macon will have its home opener on Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 4:30 p.m. against Mary Washington on Day Field.