ASHLAND, Va. - Senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) registered three goals as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team dropped a 16-7 decision to seventh-ranked Mary Washington on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Mary Washington 16, Randolph-Macon 7
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 1-1, UMW 4-0
How It Happened
- After the Eagles notched the first score of the game, Hannah Jones answered on an assist by sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) to level the score at 1-1 five minutes into the game. UMW would put up the next four goals before Hannah Jones scored on a free position shot to make it 5-2 with 9:17 remaining in the first half. The Eagles would tally the next six goals to build an 11-2 advantage at intermission.
- Following a pair of goals by UMW, the Yellow Jackets had the next three. Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) scored on a free position shot, while junior attack Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va./Patriot) and senior attack Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) added unassisted goals to make it 13-5 midway through the second half. After three goals by the Eagles, Samper scored on a free position shot and Hannah Jones netted the final goal of the game.
By The Numbers
- Hannah Jones paced R-MC with five shots. She scored on all three of her shots on goal.
- Rachel Jones, Lexi Jones, Samper and senior attach Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) each had three shots for the Yellow Jackets.
- Hannah Jones and Rachel Jones both led R-MC with four draw controls.
- Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) recorded 10 saves for the Yellow Jackets. She also led the tram with five ground balls.
- Rachel Jones and senior defender Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J./Donovan Catholic) both forced a pair of turnovers.
- Randolph-Macon will host Stevenson on Saturday, March 2 at 1 p.m. on Day Field.