SPARKS, Md. – Nine different Yellow Jackets scored and four scored more than one goal as Randolph-Macon Women's Lacrosse defeated the United States Coast Guard Academy 16-10 at a neutral site match at U.S. Lacrosse Headquarters Saturday evening. Senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) reached the 100 point milestone in her career during the match as well.
Score: Randolph-Macon 16, Coast Guard 10
Location/Venue: Sparks, Md./Tierney Field (U.S. Lacrosse Headquarters)
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-2), Coast Guard (1-3)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon had the scoring bug early. Three goals in quick succession put the Yellow Jackets up 3-0 within the first four minutes of the contest. Sophomore Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md. / North County) started R-MC out with two free position goals about a minute apart. After her goals, senior Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) took a look at goal and sent one into the cage off the draw control after Hewes' second goal.
- Coast Guard got on the board with a score at the 17:38 mark in the first period.
- R-MC went on another run of five goals unanswered over a three minute period in the middle of the first half. Sophomore Bella Samper (Spring, Texas / Klein Oak) took a shot that found the net at the 13:40 mark. Seconds later, Samper got a pass fed to her from senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) to score the goal, with Jones tallying the assist. Freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md. / Northeast) got a free position opportunity at the 12:39 mark, which she converted into a goal. Samper scored again off of the draw control from Hynson's goal as Hannah Jones got credit for the assist on Samper's third goal of the contest. The run finished with sophomore Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J. / Red Bank Catholic) taking a pass from Hynson into the cage with 10:12 to go in the first. The goal came in a player-up situation and put Randolph-Macon ahead 8-1.
- Coast Guard added two in a row over the next three minutes, but R-MC finished the half strong. Hannah Jones scored her first goal of the game and she took a look at the cage all alone at the 3:57 mark. R-MC finished the half with a player-advantage situation as Lexi Jones struck in a goal on a free position shot with 2:04 to go in the half. Coast Guard finished the half with a goal with ten seconds to go in the frame, but R-MC took the 10-4 lead into the halftime break.
- The second half started much like the first. Mattone scored barely a minute into the frame as junior Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md. / Annapolis) sent her a pass that she was able to convert into points. Samper scored her fourth of the day around the 26:12 mark as she was awarded a free position shot. Lexi Jones got her second of the day on a free position as well around the 21:39 mark, putting R-MC ahead by ten. Coast Guard was able to put two on the board, but R-MC fired back with two more around the ten-minute mark. Junior Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va. / Patriot) and senior Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C. / Northern Guilford) scored at the 10:31 and 9:10 marks respectively, putting a cap on R-MC's day and settling R-MC back at a ten-point difference. Coast Guard was able to add three goals in a 90 second period with under five to play, as well as one goal with under 30 seconds to go, but the Yellow Jackets' strong play had earned them the 16-10 win.
Inside The Numbers
- Samper finished the day with four goals while Mattone added three. Lexi Jones and Hewes each had two.
- With her goal and assist, Hannah Jones reached the 100 point milestone for her career at Randolph-Macon. Jones led the team with eight shots in the match.
- Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) made four saves and earned the win while freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md. / Havre de Grace) made six saves in her half of work.
- Castle led the team defensively, causing three turnovers. Hannah Jones and fellow senior Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J. / Donovan Catholic) made two caused turnovers.
- Cypher led the team with three ground balls. Lexi Jones, Castle, Hynson, Hewes, Roth and Bain each picked up two ground balls.
- R-MC won 17 draw controls compared to 11 for Coast Guard. Hewes won seven draw controls with Rachel Jones and Hannah Jones each earned three draw controls as well.
Randolph-Macon will face Christopher Newport on Wednesday at 7:00 PM in Ashland at Day Field.