ASHLAND, Va. - Senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) registered three goals, added one assist and snared eight draw controls as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team fell 17-13 to Christopher Newport on Wednesday evening.
Score: Christopher Newport 17, Randolph-Macon 13
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 2-3, CNU 4-3
How It Happened
- The Captains had the first two goals of the game before senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) netted the first goal for the Yellow Jackets. CNU added a goal before Hannah Jones scored on an assist by sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) as R-MC trailed 3-2 less than four minutes into the game. The Captains had the next two goals before Riley, Hannah Jones and sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) each scored to tie the game at 5-5 with 13:25 remaining in the first half. CNU answered before Hewes assisted Hannah Jones again to level the score at 6-6 with 9:45 left. The Captains would score two in a row before Samper connected on a free position shot to make it 8-7 with two minutes remaining. CNU had the final goal of the half and took a 9-7 edge at the break.
- The Captains had the first goal of the second half to go up by three before senior midfielder Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored on a pass by Riley, and freshman midfielder Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va./St. Catherine's) had her first collegiate goal on an assist by Hannah Jones as the Yellow Jackets pulled within one at 10-9 with 23:20 left in the second period. After a pair of CNU goals, senior attack Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored on an assist by sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) and Rachel Jones finished a free position shot as R-MC trailed 12-11 with 18 minutes remaining. Lexi Jones answered another CNU goal to make it 13-12 with 16:44 left. The Captains would grab control with four straight goals before Mattone assisted on the final goal by Rachel Jones with three minutes remaining as CNU claimed the 17-13 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had five players with multiple goals. Rachel and Hannah Jones each had three, while, Riley, Samper and Lexi Jones each had two.
- Hewes and Mattone both recorded a pair of assists for the Yellow Jackets.
- R-MC put up 34 shots, with 28 on goal. Rachel Jones topped the Yellow Jackets with seven shots, all on goal.
- R-MC held a 17-15 edge in draw controls. Hannah Jones grabbed eight, while Hewes and Rachel Jones both had three.
- Rachel Jones and senior defender Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J./Donovan Catholic) both had three ground balls. Roth also led the Yellow Jackets with three caused turnovers.
- Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) recorded 12 saves, including seven in the first half.
- Randolph-Macon will hit the road and play at Washington College on Saturday, March 16 at 1 p.m.