CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Randolph-Macon junior Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md. / Annapolis) found the cage three times as Randolph-Macon Women's Lacrosse faced an early second-half run by Washington College, en route to a Shorewomen victory Saturday afternoon in non-conference action.
Score: Washington College 16, Randolph-Macon 12
Location/Venue: Chestertown, Md./Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium
Records: Washington College (3-2), Randolph-Macon (2-4)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon hit the early lead. Senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) sent a pass over to sophomore Bella Samper (Spring, Texas / Klein Oak), who placed it in the cage to open the scoring in the eighth minute.
- Jones took care of the goal herself about two minutes later, as she took a pass from her sister Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) and slotted it into the cage for R-MC's second of the game. Moments later, fellow sister and senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md. / Kent County) also got involved with a goal off of a free position opportunity.
- Washington got one of goals back, but Castle got her first of the day with an unassisted effort with 13:41 to go in the frame, giving R-MC the 4-1 lead.
- Washington College rallied off three straight to even the score at 4-4. Both teams added a goal before the break, with R-MC's coming on another shot from Castle with 6:31 to go. The teams were knotted at 5-5 at halftime.
- Washington College came out of the break with a pair of goals within the first three minutes of the second half. The Shorewomen added another one with 22:50 to go, taking the 8-5 lead.
- About a minute after WC's goal, Yellow Jacket junior Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md. / North County) scored with 21:43 remaining in the period, cutting Washington's lead to just two. But the Shorewomen tallied another three in a row before freshman McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md. / Northeast) broke the streak with a goal at 16:37 and digging into the WC 11-7 lead.
- Washington College was able to string another three goals together and had a 14-7 lead with 8:10 to go.
- Castle stopped the run at 5:37 to go with a free positon shot that she converted.
- About two minutes later, Hynson connected with senior Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C. / Northern Guilford), who placed the ball in the cage, though WC maintained the 14-9 lead. WC scored two in a row, about a minute apart, but R-MC closed the game on a streak. Hewes scored an unassisted goal with 1:18 to go. Hannah Jones then scored off the following draw control as Hynson fed her the ball to earn the assist. With seconds to go in the game, Rachel Jones closed out the three-goal streak with a score, finalizing the score at 16-12.
Inside The Numbers
- Castle matched her career-high for goals in a single game with three, matching her effort against Lynchburg in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament last year on May 5.
- Hewes earned six draw controls while Hannah Jones and Rachel Jones each added three.
- Senior Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J. / Donovan Catholic) made three ground-ball pickups in the match, which led the team.
- Senior Olivia Mott (Dayton, Md. / River Hill), juniors Olivia Cheezum (Centreville, Md. / Queen Anne's County), Hewes and Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va. / Trinity) each caused a turnover.
- Wells made 11 saves in goal.
- Hannah Jones led the team in shots, attempting eight. Four of them landed on goal. Castle and Rachel Jones each had four shots as well. All four came on goal for Castle, while three went on goal for Rachel Jones.
Randolph-Macon will travel to St. Mary's (Md.) for a 4:30 PM contest on Wednesday, March 20.