GREENSBORO, N.C. - Senior Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) had three goals and one assist, sophomore Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) had three goals, and junior Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) registered two goals and three assists, as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team posted an 18-3 ODAC victory at Guilford on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 18, Guilford 3
Location/Venue: Greensboro, N.C./Armfield Athletic Center
Records: R-MC 3-5, 1-0 ODAC; GC 5-3, 0-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- Riley had the first two goals of the game, with the first assisted by Castle, as the Yellow Jackets took a quick 2-0 lead. Sophomore Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic), senior Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) and sophomore Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) followed with goals, with Riley assisting on Hewes' score, as R-MC took a 5-0 lead 10 minutes into the contest. Castle assisted on a goal by Samper and scored herself to make it 7-0 with 11:45 left in the first half. Hannah Jones, senior Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent Couty) and junior Julia Bain (Nokesville, Va./Patriot) each added goals as the advantage grew to 10-0 with eight minutes remaining. After a goal by the Quakers, Riley scored on an assist by Castle, and sophomore Natalie Webster tallied a goal with one minute left as the Yellow Jackets held a 12-1 advantage at halftime. R-MC outshot GC 23-5 in the first period, including 16-2 for shots on goal. Riley had three goals, and Castle recorded three assists and caused a pair of turnovers.
- Samper and sophomore Taylor Sheppard (Queenstown, Md./Queen Anne's County) both scored twice in the second half, while Castle and Lexi Jones each had one goal as the lead ballooned to 18-1 with seven minutes remaining. GC had the last two goals of the contest, making the final score 18-3.
By The Numbers
- R-MC held a 33-17 advantage in shots. Riley and Hannah Jones both had five shots, while Sheppard and Samper both recorded four shots.
- Hewes paced the victors with six draw controls.
- Senior Olivia Mott (Dayton, Md./River Hill) topped the Yellow Jackets with three ground balls.
- Castle led R-MC with a pair of caused turnovers.
- Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had one save in the first half for the Yellow Jackets. Freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md./Havre de Grace) had two saves in the first 15:31 of the second half without allowing a goal, while junior Katie Thompson (Burke, Va./Lake Braddock) had a pair of saves in the final 14:29 of the contest.
- Randolph-Macon returns to Day Field on Saturday, March 30 for a 3 p.m. ODAC contest against Roanoke.