ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) had the final two goals of the game for the Yellow Jackets, and senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) had 11 draw controls, including the final one of the contest, as R-MC rallied to edge Roanoke 16-15 in ODAC action on Saturday afternoon on Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 16, Roanoke 15
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 4-5, 2-0 ODAC; RC 6-4, 1-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Maroons had the first two goals of the game before the Yellow Jackets scored five straight. Senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) had the first two R-MC goals before junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) sandwiched a pair of goals around a score by sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) as the home team led 5-2 ten minutes into the contest. RC had three of the next four goals, the lone R-MC score on a free position shot by Jones, as the visitors pulled within one at 6-5 near the midway point of the first half. Jones, Castle and sophomore midfielder Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) all tallied goals as the lead grew to 9-5 with 11:20 remaining. Three straight Maroon goals again made it a one-goal game at 9-8 with five minutes left. Samper scored on a free position shot with two minutes remaining and Jones did the same with 28 seconds left as R-MC led 11-8 at intermission.
- Mattone scored 32 seconds into the second half and Castle answered an RC goal with a goal of her own as the Yellow Jackets led 13-9 five minutes into the second period. The Maroons had the next five goals to take a 14-13 lead with 10 minutes remaining. Castle had the equalizer with six minutes left to make it 14-14. Mattone had player-up goals with 4:50 left, assisted by Jones to take a 15-14 lead, and with 2:50 left on as assist by Castle, as R-MC took a 16-14 advantage. RC pulled within one on a free position shot with 39 seconds left, but Jones grabbed the subsequent draw control and the Yellow Jackets held on for the 16-15 victory.
By The Numbers
- Castle led the Yellow Jackets with six points, tallying five goals and one assist. Jones had three goals and two assists for five points. Mattone finished with three goals on three shots. Riley had two goals and one assist, while Samper netted a pair.
- R-MC held a 20-11 advantage in draw controls. Along with the 11 by Jones, sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) snared seven.
- Samper and junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) both had a pair of ground balls.
- Wells recorded nine saves, including seven in the first half.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to second-ranked Washington and Lee on Wednesday, April 3 for a 4 p.m. ODAC contest.