RALEIGH, N.C. - Junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) netted four goals and had one assist, while sophomore midfielder Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) tallied six points with three goals and three assists, as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team registered a 20-10 victory at Meredith on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 20, Meredith 10
Location/Venue: Raleigh, N.C./Meredith Athletic Field
Records: R-MC 5-6, MC 11-4
How It Happened
- The Avenging Angels recorded the first two goals before Webster and sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) responded with scores to knot the game at 2-2 five minutes into the contest. MC had the next goal before freshman midfielder Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va./St. Catherine's) tied the game on a free position shot. Webster assisted on a goal by sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) and netted one herself as R-MC led 5-3 with 21:25 left in the first half. The Angels would tie the game before Henderson converted a free position shot to put the Yellow Jackets on top for good at 6-5 midway through the period. Senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) sandwiched a pair of goals around a score by Castle as R-MC went up 9-5 with 10 minutes remaining. After an MC goal, Castle scored on a free position shot, and freshman midfielder McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast) assisted on a goal by senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) with 14 seconds left as the Yellow Jackets took an 11-6 advantage at intermission.
- Castle scored the first two goals of the second half, the first assisted by Webster, as the R-MC lead grew to seven at 13-6. Following two MC goals, Hynson, sophomore midfielder Taylor Sheppard (Queenstown, Md./Queen Anne's County), Webster and Riley all recorded goals as the Yellow Jacket advantage ballooned to 17-8 with 13 minutes remaining in the contest. The Angels had the next two goals before Mattone, Jones and Sheppard netted the final three scores to make the final 20-10.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had seven players with multiple goals. Castle had four, while Webster and Riley recorded three each. Jones, Henderson, Sheppard and Mattone all had two goals.
- Shots were tied at 36-36. Castle, Riley and Mattone each had five shots.
- R-MC scored on five of eight free position shots, while MC converted just 2 of 13, including going 0 for 7 in the second half.
- The teams were also even in draw controls at 16-16. Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) led the victors with six, while Sheppard had three. Henderson, Jones and Hynson each grabbed two.
- MC held a 21-19 edge in ground balls. Jones topped R-MC with three, while Riley, Mattone, senior defender Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J./Donovan Catholic), junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) and sophomore defender Sarah DiFazio (Johns Creek, Ga./Pinecrest Academy) each came up with two.
- Roth had three of the team's 12 caused turnovers.
- Randolph-Macon will return to Day Field on Wednesday, April 10 for a 6 p.m. ODAC contest with Lynchburg.