ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore attack Bella Samper (Spring, Texas/Klein Oak) recorded four goals and added a pair of assists as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team defeated Randolph 21-0 on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 21, Randolph 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 7-6, 4-1 ODAC ; RC 2-10, 0-6 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets scored six times in the game's first four minutes. Junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) netted the first score less than a minute into the contest. Senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) had the next goal, with the assist to senior attack Saunders Riley. Samper, sophomore midfielder Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian), Castle and Jones all added goals to make it 6-0 with 26:14 left in the first half. Castle had her third score, followed by the second by Samper, as the score grew to 8-0 ten minutes into the game. Senior midfielder Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) and freshman midfielder Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va./St. Catherine's) added scores as R-MC led 10-0 midway through the first period. Webster, sophomore midfielder Taylor Sheppard (Queenstown, Md./Queen Anne's County) and sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes netted goals as the Yellow Jackets led 13-0 at halftime. R-MC had a 19-2 advantage in shots and 13-1 edge in draw controls.
- Samper, Sheppard and Webster had the first three goals of the second half, with sophomore attack Erin Mattone (Little Silver, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) assisting on Webster's goal, as the Yellow Jackets went up 16-0 ten minutes into the second period. Hannah Jones added her third goal, Henderson scored on a free position shot, and Samper secured her fourth goal as R-MC led 19-0 with 11:30 left. Freshman attack Erin Reeves (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) scored her first collegiate goal on a free position shot, and senior attack Lexi Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) added the final goal as the Yellow Jackets posted the 21-0 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had six players score multiple goals. Along with the four by Samper, Castle, Webster and Hannah Jones all had three. Sheppard and Henderson each had two goals.
- Riley paced the victors with three assists, while Samper had two.
- The Yellow Jackets had 23 shots on goal and 21 goals.
- R-MC held a 19-4 advantage in draw controls. Hewes led the Yellow Jackets with six, while Hannah Jones snagged five. Sheppard and freshman midfielder McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast both picked up two.
- The Yellow Jackets had 12 ground balls. Webster and sophomore defender Sarah Difazio (Johns Creek, Ga./Pinecrest Academy) each had two ground balls.
- Three goalkeepers combined on the shutout. Junior Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had a pair of saves in the first half. Freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md./Havre de Grace) had one save in the first 10 minutes of the second half, while junior Katie Thompson (Burke, Va./Lake Braddock) registered one save in the final 20 minutes of play.
- R-MC recorded its first shutout since March 29, 2017, with a 17-0 win at Virginia Wesleyan.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday, April 17 for a 4 p.m. ODAC contest.