VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Sophomore midfielder Kaylyn Hewes (Linthicum, Md./North County) did a little of everything with three goals, one assist, seven draw controls, four ground balls and four caused turnovers as the Randolph-Macon women's lacrosse team posted a 17-6 ODAC victory at Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 17, Virginia Wesleyan 6
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Birdsong Field
Records: R-MC 8-6, 5-1 ODAC; VWU 7-6, 3-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- Hewes netted the game's first goal just over a minute into the contest. The Marlins scored the next two goals before the Yellow Jackets responded with seven straight scores. Junior attack Mary Castle (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) had the tying goal with 21 minutes on the clock and senior midfielder Hannah Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) scored with just under 20 minutes left in the first half to put R-MC on top to stay. Castle had a second goal, followed by senior attack Saunders Riley (Summerfield, N.C./Northern Guilford) and senior midfielder Rachel Jones (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) as the lead grew to 6-2 with 11 minutes remaining. Riley added a second goal on an assist by freshman midfielder McKenzie Hynson (Pasadena, Md./Northeast) and Hewes put in her second as the Yellow Jackets went up 8-2 with 5:30 left. VWU had the final goal of the half as R-MC led 8-3 at intermission. The Yellow Jackets had a 16-10 advantage on shots, including 15-7 for shots on goal. Riley paced the visitors with four shots, while Castle added three. R-MC had an 8-4 edge on draw controls.
- The Yellow Jackets scored four times in the first three minutes of the second period to take control. Hannah Jones assisted Castle and Hewes, and Rachel Jones netted a pair to give the visitors a 12-3 advantage. After a score by the Marlins, Hannah Jones tallied two more as R-MC went up 14-4 with just under 23 minutes remaining. Following a pair of Marlin goals, Hannah Jones and sophomore midfielder Natalie Webster (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) both scored to give the Yellow Jackets a 16-6 lead with 12:45 left. Sophomore midfielder Taylor Sheppard (Queenstown, Md./Queen Anne's County) had the game's last goal on an assist by Hewes as the Yellow Jackets posted the 17-6 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had five players score multiple goals. Along with the four by Hannah Jones, Castle, Hewes and Rachel Jones each recorded three and Riley put in two.
- The Yellow Jackets finished with a 17-8 edge in draw controls. Hewes snared seven, while Hannah Jones grabbed six.
- R-MC had a 21-15 advantage in ground balls. Hewes had four, while Riley picked up three.
- The Yellow Jackets had 12 caused turnovers. Hewes had four, while senior defender Abby Roth (Bayville, N.J./Donovan Catholic) and freshman midfielder Lily Henderson (Manakin-Sabot, Va./St. Catherine's) both forced two.
- Junior goalkeeper Elicia Wells (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had four saves in 47 minutes. Freshman Caraline Cypher (Havre de Grace, Md./Havre de Grace) had four saves in 13 scoreless minutes.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Ferrum on Saturday, April 20 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.